Ubisoft Uses Talent Exodus Threat To Thwart Hostile Vivendi

HardOCP News

[H] News
These two are still going at it? I thought they put all this hostile takeover stuff to rest a while back.

French video-game maker Ubisoft Entertainment is counting on a handful of creative employees who’ve made blockbuster titles -- and billions of dollars for the company -- to thwart an unwelcome approach by a billionaire and his media conglomerate. The message to Vincent Bollore and Vivendi SA: Back off or the talent will leave and you’ll end up buying an empty shell.

Poison Pills can be an effective deterrent. For talent based organizations the cancellation of contracts allowing the employees to leave does work. Some companies have used the stock option as a poison pill as well (Intel still had a poison pill when I first joined them which would have performed a massive stock split as part of a takeover to dilute the shares, designed to prevent IBM from attempting a takeover, back when Intel was a much smaller company).

When was the last time Ubisoft made a good game? They are all basically the same game these days. Just did a quick Wiki search, from 2014-2016 I see maybe South Park. The Division? There's a lot of bashing Destiny here, but Destiny is an immensely better experience than the Division. Great setting that alludes to a promising game, an hour in you've quite literally seen it all, with painfully boring and restrictive combat.

Sell at your peak Ubisoft.

I don't about the no talent It more like there Uplay that utterly the worst DRM imaginable is what Ubisoft Entertainment good for.

Yes, when I think Ubisoft I think derivative games and god damn Uplay. I can't believe they haven't ditched Uplay yet. They are run by clowns.

I haven't really liked Ubisoft since the Amiga, and then slightly into the PS1 days. Uplay is garbage. Their games are about as generic as they come. However, I dislike Vivendi even more. So...

Back