Ubisoft: PS5, Next Xbox Are at Least Two Years Away

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In an investors' call, CEO Yves Guillemot stated the company believes the next major consoles are "a minimum of two years" away. "As Sony launched PlayStation 4 Pro last year and Microsoft Xbox One X this year, we think we still have a minimum of two years in front of us before something new is coming," Guillemot stated. "But that's our perception, we don't have any confidential information on that front."

Guillemot went on to say he likes that Sony and Microsoft are updating their platforms with iterative new consoles in the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, and he believes the new devices will aid the industry. "We really like the fact that Sony and Microsoft are really putting more power in their machines, using the evolution of technology to give power to our developers to create better games for our players," he said.

I expect to hear from Sony about a new console at E3 or tgs. With a release around November 2019. Kinda not liking this new arms race between MS and Sony tbh.

I like the performance race. I don't feel it's hurting the customer's. Just like us upgrading our computers to edge out performance , now we have consoles doing it. The consoles were getting now are just gaming pc's for the most part simplified. They are backwards compatible and upgrade the eye candy on most of the games your already playing. I really don't see the down side. If you want to spend the money to have better eye candy you can if not just enjoy the same games with everything turned down a bit. Just like we do now with computers.

I like the performance race. I don't feel it's hurting the customer's. Just like us upgrading our computers to edge out performance , now we have consoles doing it. The consoles were getting now are just gaming pc's for the most part simplified. They are backwards compatible and upgrade the eye candy on most of the games your already playing. I really don't see the down side. If you want to spend the money to have better eye candy you can if not just enjoy the same games with everything turned down a bit. Just like we do now with computers.
That is fine. Two years between release is a little quick tho. I am fine with every 4 or 5 years. 10 years with last generation was too much.

A75 CPU driven or its successor. Only question besides who will supply the GPU part.

As long as the software titles work will all variations of the current gen, I guess I don't care about the pro/plus/XXL models.

Where we could get into trouble is when the hardware becomes fractured into many levels and they all need different versions of software.

Sony and MS need to read up on the video game crash of the 80's and not dive right back into it. I think. What do I know.

Sounds great to me. They need to update faster to keep up with PC development.

I believe the reason we haven't had truly hard GPU dependent games lately is because the baseline console performance is so much lower.

I'd hope with the refresh systems that we'd almost reset the clock and be closer to 3 to 4, years. I'm still hurting form XBL games I can't have anymore and I am not happy with what's been done with current generation. I think I'd be better served with leaving them alone.

Mobility is another issue they need to solve fast.
After using the Switch for about eight months, I'm definitely hoping that Sony's PS5 will follow the Switch's concept. My PC is great for big-screen, ultra graphical-fidelity gaming, but I can't play it at the beach. I want to be able to play a next-gen console on-the-go, and dock it when I get home.

"But that's our perception, we don't have any confidential information on that front."

so.. that statement begs the question.. if they did have confidential info.. would they be releasing it into the public domain?

Well, we'll be at 4 years this console generation in a couple of weeks. Console generations usually last 5-7 years, so that is probably what Yves is basing this on. But we don't know yet how this new idea of a mid-generation refresh will affect things.

2020...start of a new decade is the perfect time to launch new consoles...

I gotta assume devs are making their games future proof... allowing for higher resolutions and framerates so future consoles can run them no problem... if not, wth are they thinking...

I'm hoping whatever the future of consoles is, it includes full backwards compatibility. Nice being able to (mostly) unplug and plug in a new console and still have access to your game library.

I'm hoping whatever the future of consoles is, it includes full backwards compatibility. Nice being able to (mostly) unplug and plug in a new console and still have access to your game library.

It wont. Even if you just replaced Jaguar with Atom/Zen/Core etc you break titles due to the close coding.

Meanwhile we'll be on Icelake and Volta next year. Poor console folks...

Back