Ubisoft + GameStop + PC = FAIL

Frraksurred

2[H]4U
I'm going to spending the next few lines venting, then I'll shut up. :p

This morning (8-20-13) was the second time I went into GameStop to pick up a PC title from Ubisoft I had Pre-ordered, only to be told "We don't have it yet... and for some reason it isn't even scheduled for transport. We'll have to call you, sorry."

Today it was Splinter Cell Black List, last time it was Assassins Creed III. For AC3 I had to wait 2 weeks after launch and none of the pre-order bonuses worked when I did get it. After jumping through all their hoops to fix the problem, they still didn't work. Now none of these things are the end of the world. Frustrating yes, but not a huge deal. Still, it would be nice if Ubi and/or GS pulled their heads out of their collective rears and displayed some professionalism.

Although I'm sure you have a reason for not going the digital distribution route (we don't have to rehash the argument for/against), I have to say this is one of the reasons I use Steam/Origin. Preloading titles and having them available as soon as they are released without having to go to the game store is handy.

Although I'm sure you have a reason for not going the digital distribution route (we don't have to rehash the argument for/against), I have to say this is one of the reasons I use Steam/Origin. Preloading titles and having them available as soon as they are released without having to go to the game store is handy.

Agreed, if purchasing a physical copy for PC games actually meant something still, I'd prefer that method, but nowadays all you are buying is a serial key and the rest is completely useless and just takes up shelf space basically.

the few times I pre-ordered from GameStop went off without a hitch...difference being that I never chose store pick-up but rather home delivery

Seriously? i didn't even know you could buy pc games from gamestop any more, well instore anyway. if your set on buying physical copys just get an amazon prime membership and have stuff overnighted for 4 bucks. after sales tax and gas you will probably have spent more than 4 dollars driving to pick it up at a store.

Gamestop is pretty bad for anything pc. ubisoft is a terrible company in terms of actually getting the games out on time or ever. I will never buy a game that uses their silly ass uplay bs. Terrible software and they use digital river for distribution.

You can normally get release day delivery on Amazon.

I preordered Dragon's Crown and it arrived via UPS on the Tuesday it released. And I didn't have to listen to the guy at Gamestop trying to sell me insurance and mangling my pre-sale bonuses.

The employees at the Gamestop closest to me take highest bids on preorder games. Meaning whomever shows up and tips the employee gets your special edition that you preordered. You will not get a replacement copy because that was all they were allotted, and they will ramble on for an hour about you taking instore credit.

Stay far, far, away from that place.

You could not pay me to shop at Gamestop with your own money. The place is worthless.

Although I'm sure you have a reason for not going the digital distribution route (we don't have to rehash the argument for/against), I have to say this is one of the reasons I use Steam/Origin.

Agreed, if purchasing a physical copy for PC games actually meant something still, I'd prefer that method, but nowadays all you are buying is a serial key and the rest is completely useless and just takes up shelf space basically.

My Steam library is 120+ games strong, I am simply an old school gamer who still likes a physical copy (I like to sit up at night with my lava lamp on and chant "my pressshioooousss" as I stroke the box. ;-} )

The employees at the Gamestop closest to me take highest bids on preorder games. Meaning whomever shows up and tips the employee gets your special edition that you preordered. You will not get a replacement copy because that was all they were allotted, and they will ramble on for an hour about you taking instore credit.

Stay far, far, away from that place.

I've had pretty good luck with my 2 local stores, it is only the Ubisoft titles that give me issues. I'll simply be sticking to Steam for them from now on.

Last edited:
1. Stop buying ubicrap games
2. you have 20 months on your calendar?

Let's break this equation down:

Ubisoft = Fail
GameStop = Fail
PC = Win

-1 + -1 + 1 = -1

You were bound for failure from the get go.

Particularly when they want me to use Uplay... what worthless software... but, it's hard to pass up on the Far Cry, Assassins Creed and Splinter Cell franchises.

Huh?

Haha, I actually lol'ed hard at the calendar comment.

8-20-13

Silly americans.

Why do month-day-year when you can do Day-Month-Year ?

8-20-13

Silly americans.

Because we like to irritate the rest of the world... a trait we come by honestly. :p

Let's break this equation down:

Ubisoft = Fail
GameStop = Fail
PC = Win

-1 + -1 + 1 = -1

You were bound for failure from the get go.

HA! Good answer, good answer.

8-20-13

Silly americans.

because August 20th sounds better than saying 20th August? :p

The only reason I see to purchase a boxed copy now days is if the game uses simple disc check for DRM. Since none do (thus you can't lend or sell it) and all are tied to Steam or other site, then there's no reason to not just buy digitally since it's tied to your account even if you bought the box.

The only reason I see to purchase a boxed copy now days is if the game uses simple disc check for DRM. Since none do (thus you can't lend or sell it) and all are tied to Steam or other site, then there's no reason to not just buy digitally since it's tied to your account even if you bought the box.

Seriously... did you miss my lava lamp comment? :cool:

Particularly when they want me to use Uplay... what worthless software... but, it's hard to pass up on the Far Cry, Assassins Creed and Splinter Cell franchises.

I'm sure you will be okay. Uplay is fine. These apps aren't going anywhere. You guys better get use to them. Or play on consoles. Or don't get those games at all. But i'm sure the gamer urge will get to all the Origin/Uplay haters eventually.. Just like the steam boycott.

8-20-13

Silly americans.

Silly humans. Year-Month-Day is clearly the best. Then it sorts properly.

If I want a physical copy I usually just go to Target or Wal-Mart and get it the day of the release. There is no point in pre-ordering unless you want a limited edition copy. Big retail stores never sell out of the regular copies.

Games aren't like a physical console where they can only pump the hardware out so fast and they get sold for slim margins. They can literally print out millions of game discs a day and each one sold is almost pure profit.

Back