Ubiquiti UniFi AP Pro question

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
Most likely a very stupid question for you guys in the business. I gotta ask it because I don't want to do this the hard way.

I need to install a second Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC Pro. The first one I installed is inside the house and in a very accessible location. The second one I need to install will be in the garage at an INACCESSIBLE location. Ideally I just want to do this one time.

The one inside works great, no issues. Its already configured and fact I'm on it right now.

Can I just take the one down from inside and install it in the garage WITHOUT changing any parameters? Of course it'll be a new cable run. The router will remain the same.

Or how would you do it? I did have a little trouble installing the first AP, and that why I'm asking.

If the AP has already been configured by the unifi controller then the AP already has it's config. So if you move it to another location it will keep it's config.

Reactions: Liver
like this
As Vengance_01 said, the AP gets it's configs from the Unifi controller - meaning you can easily move this to another spot you'd like and not reconfigure. Any config data that's running on the AP is basically like "Read Only".

like this
Not sure why you would anyways. As long as the controller and new ap can see each other then the controller will push the config. One of the benefits of using unfi gear

I did it. I did it without disconnecting the original one. Went well. It's updating firmware right now.
Yup. I'm a fan of ubiquiti gear. Not only does it perform well, it's usually problem free.

Damn near a fanboy about it to be honest, but I get that way when a company makes my life easy.

Should be fine, just make sure you have a way to power cycle it, which you should have if you're using POE as you can just unplug at the switch. If ever you need to do an update it may possibly be needed, though I've always been able to do it through SSH.

ac pro's will also allow you to do a single-layer deep wireless uplink if you don't want to make another cable run. Adopt the AP in a wired configuration, then move it to the new location, plug in the POE injector and you will see the AP go into "disconnected" or "isolated" mode on Controller. Then just go into the AP details>uplink and select your other AP as the uplink and it will get pulled back in.

like this
ac pro's will also allow you to do a single-layer deep wireless uplink if you don't want to make another cable run. Adopt the AP in a wired configuration, then move it to the new location, plug in the POE injector and you will see the AP go into "disconnected" or "isolated" mode on Controller. Then just go into the AP details>uplink and select your other AP as the uplink and it will get pulled back in.
i was trying to do this...but does disconnected ap have to be on the same channel as the wired AP? reason i ask i was doing this quickly and didnt see the wired ap in the list to be connected to

This second AP is literally 15 feet away from the the original. We weren’t getting signal where we needed it from the original.

All is good now.

This second AP is literally 15 feet away from the the original. We weren’t getting signal where we needed it from the original.

All is good now.
I question why you would need another AP did you mess with channels and transmission power?

I question why you would need another AP did you mess with channels and transmission power?

To piggy back off of this - as a PSA, if you are changing your wireless channels for 2.4Ghz - you should only be using 1, 6, or 11, as they are the only three channels that don't overlap with each other.

cwap-24-5ghz-01.png

Back