UBI CEO Doubles Down on Streaming Games Over Hardware

That is the main advantage of streaming. It doesn't matter how much eye candy the game being streamed has... it can be on low settings or 5 steps above ultra... the streaming requirements are the same.

Its like saying a AAA hollywoo movie costs Netflix more bandwidth over a B grade bollywoo film.

I guess I didn't word my post right.
Yes the streaming requirements will be the same no matter the in game settings.
What i was talking about was the quality of the stream. Like if you compare a Blu Ray to a Netflix stream, on a good screen there is a big difference, but the average person won't really notice on a good connection.

To achieve the same quality as local gaming, you need to capture the raw uncompressed stream going to the monitor.
And no matter the settings used in game, the stream will consume the same of bandwidth i believe.
DP 1.0 has like 8Gbit+ bandwidth, and no one has access to a internet connection of this speed (less than 1%).
And when someone else at the house wants to play a game, you need double that....
And never mind 1440p and 4k 144Hz........

streaming games will never look as good as local games....... unless we have 100+ Gbit connections with 1ms ping times........

Last edited:
streaming games will never look as good as local games....... unless we have 100+ Gbit connections with 1ms ping times........

I don't disagree with you... when comparing streaming to TOP end gear. With a caveat... I would expect streaming services to one up the home versions. Be that double the calculated rays... or Streaming only titles that turn on so much Ray tracing even 2080 sli configs would choke.

The vast majority are not using top end gear... and a bit of stream compression (which honestly isn't that bad I have seen current streaming work) is a very minor trade off for being able to do things their own local machines simply can't. The number of gamers that can crank the most demanding games to Ultra on every setting is extremely low.

Now take that and sprinkle in more Ray Tracing then ANYONES GPU can handle and you have the recipe imo. If the rumors are right and the best someone with a 2080ti can hope for is 1080p 60fps with ray tracing turned on. That gives the streaming companies a real path forward. Nvidia will be more then happy to sell them RTX clusters for their servers.

A game with 2x the ray tracing of a local version... people will forgive a bit of compression if they even see it.

I guess we'll see what happens over the next 2 years... the more things unfold though. The more I'm convinced RTX is a Nvidia Trojan horse. The press they control will fawn over it... the developers will start including it. The stream companies will buy the real hardware Nvidia intends to power it.

I have no doubt Nvidia would be more then happy to sell low end server class chips (2080) to flush gamers... and fully admit that 2060 and down will never be able to turn ray tracing on. Nvidia basically helps create a brand new high profit margin catagory, the Stream Server Cluster GPUS.

I don't disagree with you... when comparing streaming to TOP end gear. With a caveat... I would expect streaming services to one up the home versions. Be that double the calculated rays... or Streaming only titles that turn on so much Ray tracing even 2080 sli configs would choke.

The vast majority are not using top end gear... and a bit of stream compression (which honestly isn't that bad I have seen current streaming work) is a very minor trade off for being able to do things their own local machines simply can't. The number of gamers that can crank the most demanding games to Ultra on every setting is extremely low.

Now take that and sprinkle in more Ray Tracing then ANYONES GPU can handle and you have the recipe imo. If the rumors are right and the best someone with a 2080ti can hope for is 1080p 60fps with ray tracing turned on. That gives the streaming companies a real path forward. Nvidia will be more then happy to sell them RTX clusters for their servers.

A game with 2x the ray tracing of a local version... people will forgive a bit of compression if they even see it.

I guess we'll see what happens over the next 2 years... the more things unfold though. The more I'm convinced RTX is a Nvidia Trojan horse. The press they control will fawn over it... the developers will start including it. The stream companies will buy the real hardware Nvidia intends to power it.

I have no doubt Nvidia would be more then happy to sell low end server class chips (2080) to flush gamers... and fully admit that 2060 and down will never be able to turn ray tracing on. Nvidia basically helps create a brand new high profit margin catagory, the Stream Server Cluster GPUS.

That would suck.
Streaming a game is horribly inefficient. Transferring the whole video feed instead of sending small packets to the game server like it is now.
Also basically all FPS games will be horrible due to the lag, especially twitch shooters. It's bad even streaming over LAN using steam.
But then again, console players will probably not notice very much.

Our Internet access needs serious work before this will become a reality. Ultra consistent ping times and connectivity even when other people are using the connection. Tiny drops in connection on game streaming would be more noticeable than drops in connection on VOIP phones.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
LOL that's hilarious!
I don't even bother with Symlinks unless I have to

I use software to manage my games since my M.2 drive is so small. I move everything from my larger 4TB to my smaller 500GB M.2 temporarily to play games then when I get bored and move onto something else I just swap it back. It basically uses sym links to do it. http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

The only games that really benefit from it are anything with ridiculous loading times.

That would suck.
Streaming a game is horribly inefficient. Transferring the whole video feed instead of sending small packets to the game server like it is now.
Also basically all FPS games will be horrible due to the lag, especially twitch shooters. It's bad even streaming over LAN using steam.
But then again, console players will probably not notice very much.

Our Internet access needs serious work before this will become a reality. Ultra consistent ping times and connectivity even when other people are using the connection. Tiny drops in connection on game streaming would be more noticeable than drops in connection on VOIP phones.

I agree with you. Most cities don't have the network for millions of streaming gamers at this point. It does appear they are about to push forward though.

Pretty sure RTX is Nvidias streaming bet to see them through Intels coming GPU and potential new AMD products now that they have R&D cash again. I feel they are hoping no matter what happens to the mid range home market... they can lock down the high end sales. Their pitch to the streaming services server purchasers will be... you don't have to worry about your job buying green. Corp purchasers have always been less likely to buy into new, or runner up hardware.

Yeah... as an FPS player I don't like playing with V-Sync on as it introduces a teeny bit of lag, so I know I won't be enjoying streamed videogaming. Maybe one day connections will be good enough for it, but I don't think it will be any time soon.

I could see something like the old Sega channel where you subscribed to the cloud service locally like you do your internet connection. Instead of trying to connect to servers across the country they could put a local server farm in each town. Boom, you read it here first.

Ill bet money, they will come up with a "solution" in which "AI" controls your character making assumptions into your movements while latency catches up when it increases.

The CEO is just thinking about the steaming as a form of RDM and nothing to do with user experience.

Back