Uber's First Self-Driving Fleet Arrives This Month

HardOCP News

[H] News
This seems like such a hilariously bad idea. Sure there will be human drivers in the cars for now but it still just seems like a gimmick that could seriously go wrong. Uber actually wants all of its cars to be fully autonomous 2021. :eek:

Starting later this month, Uber will allow customers in downtown Pittsburgh to summon self-driving cars from their phones, crossing an important milestone that no automotive or technology company has yet achieved. Google, widely regarded as the leader in the field, has been testing its fleet for several years, and Tesla Motors offers Autopilot, essentially a souped-up cruise control that drives the car on the highway. Earlier this week, Ford announced plans for an autonomous ride-sharing service. But none of these companies has yet brought a self-driving car-sharing service to market.

Better than a bunch of idiot uber drivers suing uber because they think they're employees even though they pick their own schedule, pick their own area of work, and choose how they do their job. All these morons screaming for $15/hr, prepare to get replaced by computers and tablets.

Better than a bunch of idiot uber drivers suing uber because they think they're employees even though they pick their own schedule, pick their own area of work, and choose how they do their job. All these morons screaming for $15/hr, prepare to get replaced by computers and tablets.

Gotta love how Uber is already vocally and publicly advocating for their employee replacement already. Either way, I hope autonomous cars really takes off. I'm sick of sitting in traffic due to simply human incompetence. If everything is autonomous, stopping would never be necessary.

Hasn't anyone learned from this?

total-recall-taxi.jpg

Like Google Glasses, self-driving cars might seem like a cool idea but it will be hated by 99% of the population. Anyone foolish enough to be an early adapter of a self-driving car should be prepared for it to be keyed, tires slashed, etc. etc. Getting stuck behind a self-driving car during rush hour will be worse than getting stuck behind a school bus or truck. You will be more popular with leprosy than having a self-driving car...

customers in downtown Pittsburgh

Oh no! I better watch out. I can't see this even remotely working in downtown Pittsburgh. It's hard enough as a human driver with all the people jaywalking and then there is the recently added bicycle lanes.. Someone will die because of this.

If Uber owns and operates the vehicle and the driver is in the particular vehicle because Uber says they have too, how are they not a cab company?

Oh no! I better watch out. I can't see this even remotely working in downtown Pittsburgh. It's hard enough as a human driver with all the people jaywalking and then there is the recently added bicycle lanes.. Someone will die because of this.
Except I'm sure the cars will be better drivers than humans.

Like Google Glasses, self-driving cars might seem like a cool idea but it will be hated by 99% of the population. Anyone foolish enough to be an early adapter of a self-driving car should be prepared for it to be keyed, tires slashed, etc. etc. Getting stuck behind a self-driving car during rush hour will be worse than getting stuck behind a school bus or truck. You will be more popular with leprosy than having a self-driving car...

My friend's X5 basically already does rush hour autonomous driving since it has auto lane departure as well as full speed cruise control. Nobody has keyed his car yet.

My friend's X5 basically already does rush hour autonomous driving since it has auto lane departure as well as full speed cruise control. Nobody has keyed his car yet.
Advanced cruise control is not make it an autonomous self-driving car.

Advanced cruise control is not make it an autonomous self-driving car.

right but you specifically said:

Getting stuck behind a self-driving car during rush hour will be worse than getting stuck behind a school bus or truck.

and so i specifically said "rush hour" per your quote and I didn't say "literally" autonomous or "fully" autonomous. I said 'basically" because you can "literally" get on the freeway in stop and go traffic, turn the sensors on, turn the cruise on, and read a book. If the freeway curves, it will follow the curve because of lane departure. Therefore, it "basically" drives itself.

Back