Uber Testing 2 Minute Wait Time Before It Starts Charging You

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently Uber thinks it is in such high demand that it can start charging you after the driver waits two minutes. So do you get a discount when your Uber driver is running behind by more than two minutes? I would be totally cool if the door swung both ways on this one.

The on-demand car service app says it's testing a new program in certain locations where customers will be charged a fee if the driver is still waiting two minutes after the arriving at the pickup location. Uber had been giving passengers a five minute window. So if you're about to get into an Uber and you're seven minutes late, you'll be charged an extra five minutes for the ride. Previously, you might not have been charged at all. Drivers are still required to wait five minutes before they can charge customers a no-show fee.

Why give a grace period at all? If the driver is there on time, then you should be too. You're the one that set it up after all and really have no excuse for not being there on time. But yeah there should be a discount if the driver is late.

Why give a grace period at all? If the driver is there on time, then you should be too. You're the one that set it up after all and really have no excuse for not being there on time. But yeah there should be a discount if the driver is late.
Yup just like reviews go both ways, this should too. But I do agree with the part that if you're the one who set it up you should def be ready when the driver gets there.

I've had drivers say they arrived only to find them about a block away. If you're requesting a ride from a multi-unit apartment building then Uber drivers can't seem to figure out where to meet you. Even when trying to meet them at the entrance I've had drivers who couldn't figure out the right place to do a pick up.

I'm fine with some sort of penalty for passengers being late, but 2 minutes is too short and implementing something like this creates a hostile environment for their customers. I'd switch to Lyft exclusively if Uber imposed this rule.

Um, because the driver doesn't arrive instantly? Sometimes you don't want to be waiting on a dark street corner of a large city. The coordination of pickup / driver is not always correct as I've had drivers go to the opposite side of the street and such. To his side of the app, he's arrived. Depends a lot on mapping and approximate location, not actual location.

Kinda like how Maps tell you that "you've arrived" when you're one street over.

I've had drivers turn on the ride when they aren't even at my location yet. Or worse, they get lost, turn on the ride, drive around a bit, then close the ride as if I was in the car and ring me up for a short trip. Support is actually very good and will always reverse these charges but there are some serious pig fuckers that drive Uber cars.

as a driver who does it for fun... i agree with this. driving in a city i usually double parked to pick you up.

as for not being able to pick you up at your location.. our app gives us a GPS dot on where you are. if the driver is not trying to place themselves as close to that dot as possible than that is on them. I, however, get as close to the DOT as possible.

Back