Uber Tells Us Customer Data got Hacked....Last Year

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I think we all call BS on Uber waiting a year to let us know its systems were hacked and personal data was exposed.

The ride-hailing company said Tuesday that it had suffered a breach in 2016 that exposed personal information belonging to tens of millions of drivers and customers.

The information included names, email addresses and phone numbers of 57 million people around the world, according to a statement released by the company’s CEO, Dara Khosrowshahi. The names and driver’s license numbers of about 600,000 U.S. drivers were also included.

And then Uber figured it out after a month and paid hackers $100,00 to keep it under wraps. Jeez. Thanks cageymaru.

Travis Kalanick, Uber’s co-founder and former CEO, became aware of the breach a month after it occurred, according to Bloomberg. Instead of reporting the attack to regulators and victims last year, the company paid hackers $100,000 to delete the data and keep the security breach under wraps, Bloomberg reported.

Who needs the nsa all my driving, grocery, purchasing, flight plans and id are so easy to find .

At this point they only have to know how to use google

I can't even begin to count the notices I've gotten about websites being compromised and needing change passwords and monitor cards etc.

Those are the ones that tell me. It seems to me that the bigger the company is the less likely they are to tell you.

There seems to be this belief that has put the internet in the same place as the human brain to some people. It's not real, you can just shut it off or reboot it. That makes all of the problems go away.

Data is real.

Data has value.

The actions you take on the internet are real and have a real impact.

As do the actions of others toward you.

Unplugging your connection does not make the internet go away.

The internet can impact you, a lot, even if you leave your smart phone at home.

Getting to the point that carrying large amounts of cash is more secure then using the net for anything.

Based on what CNBC is saying about this as I type, sounds like conspiracy charges could be filed against Uber execs for the cover up and pay off made to the hackers.

Getting to the point that carrying large amounts of cash is more secure then using the net for anything.

Based on what CNBC is saying about this as I type, sounds like conspiracy charges could be filed against Uber execs for the cover up and pay off made to the hackers.

Except civil forfeiture.

Look at the credit bureau leaks - you don't have to do / buy anything on the net and still get fucked.

Part of Uber's strategy is selling their data. Their data collection is important to them. This is very rarely reported on, but some places have discussed it.

I hope thats the case. The security breach was bad enough, but the cover up is 100% BS and they should be held accountable

Back