Uber Drivers Ordered To Give Up Earnings

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you know it is the law to have a taxi license in your area, why would you think you can just ignore the law because you are an Uber driver? I wonder if Uber is going to reimburse these drivers for the money they had to forfeit?

Finland's court of appeal ordered two Uber drivers on Wednesday to give up their earnings to the state for not having a valid taxi license, dealing a blow to the ride-hailing service. Uber Technologies Inc, which has faced bans and protests from established taxi operators around the world, is legal in Finland provided its drivers hold a taxi license.

I doubt it. Uber drivers are independent contractors, not employees, no matter what they want to think themselves as.

Uber thinks they are above the law. I love when they get kicked out of cities for their arrogance.

Yea, I get a good laugh out of it too. I laugh hysterically knowing poor people are forced to pay higher prices to taxis. Take that lower class!
There have been many studies as well as my own experience showing Uber is marginally cheaper, not the 50% people would love to believe. On top of that, they are not even profitable.

There have been many studies as well as my own experience showing Uber is marginally cheaper, not the 50% people would love to believe. On top of that, they are not even profitable.

Being in NY, finding a taxi is not an easy thing to do. My fiance and I use Uber for the convenience it has nothing to do with the cost.

More choices, mean lower cost. Simple as that. Laugh at those with lower access to things like "taxis."

How dare they have the audacity to enter into a contract with another individual before paying all the required regulatory taxes and fees. They're bad people and they should feel bad about themselves.

Man. The Taxi Mob is way more powerful than I ever thought it was.

I fucking love Uber. Wish more people drove for them in my area because late, late nights after I've been drinking I normally go get some food. So ~1 - 1.5 hours after the 2AM last call their aren't many, if any, Uber drivers still on the road.

So what normally costs me ~$7 to get too will cost $15 - $17 to get home.

Which is why I normally only go out to select areas where I know uber drivers will be out all night. Such as a larger, bigger city or near an airport or large college.

Capitalism: The idea that the consumer's interest and patronage can regulate corporations unregulated by government.

Capitalists in response to Uber: "OMG THEY DIDN'T FOLLOW REGULATIONS AND GET LICENSES OMG SO EVIL LOL I LOVE IT WHEN THEY FAIL"

Being in NY, finding a taxi is not an easy thing to do. My fiance and I use Uber for the convenience it has nothing to do with the cost.
I started using Uber in NYC after finding a gas station with at least 100 taxis during shift change. Not a single damn one would take us. And this wasn't like a 15 minute switch. They all told us not to bother trying to get one nearby for another hour or so.

That was the last time I used a taxi anywhere Uber is available. Has worked great in Taiwan and Ukraine where English amongst drivers is non-existent.

Just took an Uber in Paris on Monday from city center to airport hotel for less than half of what taxi would have charged and way more convenient. Had a nice ride chatting with a pleasant guy from Tunisia and hearing about the immigrant work situation in Paris.

Taxis dug their own grave and they can all jump in It as far as I'm concerned, Don't mean to give Uber a free pass on their sins, but the opposition to free market forces by the taxi side is really irritating. I would probably feel very different if I owned a medallion to be sure. Heard those have dropped precipitously in value in NYC since Uber came on. At least from cabbies I found that spoke English.

Ya know I dont have a business license either but I'm going to be selling this used monitor on craigslist tomorrow. I feel like such a rebel, I hope WalMart and Amazon dont find out.

Back