Uber Announces The Creation Of Uber AI Labs

HardOCP News

[H] News
Let's start the week off with some Good Uber news, shall we? The ride-sharing company announced today that it has acquired an AI startup called Geometric Intelligence and has immediately put them to work in the newly created Uber AI Labs.

I’m thrilled to make two announcements today. The first is the creation of Uber AI Labs, a new division of Uber, based in San Francisco, dedicated to cutting-edge research in artificial intelligence and machine learning. And the second is the acquisition of the AI research startup Geometric Intelligence, whose 15 members will form the initial core of the AI Labs team.

I assume this is for self-driving cars. Of course, if all cars were self driving, why would anyone own a car? Wouldn't it make more sense if every self-driving car was an "uber"?

I assume this is for self-driving cars. Of course, if all cars were self driving, why would anyone own a car? Wouldn't it make more sense if every self-driving car was an "uber"?
Because if I travel by private vehicle for the typical amount of 10,000+ miles, it's going to be cheaper than having to rent the same car from a company that needs profits, and has to pay for dead head miles. I also don't have to wait for it during periods of high demand, or deal with the left over mess and body fluids from the thousands of previous, uncaring occupants.

Back