• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

U3011 getting burn in...

Nocens

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 6, 2012
Messages
365
I started noticing this after the monitor goes to sleep now with the log on screen for windows 7. With the blue background it sticks out well. I tend to not use the left side of my monitor where my icons are. It is a fully black background. After the monitor sleeps then wakes back up, there will be little black rows on the left side of my monitor with little barely lighter blobs that have the same shapes as my icons including the text underneath. They then fully fade away within a few minutes and only reappear after the monitor goes into sleep mode again.

Is my monitor permanently damaged? Is this covered by the warranty or is it considered normal wear and tear?

Imageshack keeps rotating my picture for no reason. The black bar is the left side of the bezel.

 
Last edited:
So burn in means the monitor is bad?

I am pretty sure a video card is not going to cause burn in on a monitor. It is a shadow of my icons because they tend to get displayed all day without anything going over them.
 
So burn in means the monitor is bad?

I am pretty sure a video card is not going to cause burn in on a monitor. It is a shadow of my icons because they tend to get displayed all day without anything going over them.

Call Dell and get a replacement if it's under warranty still. I don't believe something like that falls under normal wear and tear.
 
Called Dell and after making me do a bunch of retarded BS, he told me to send it in. I asked him if I can wait and he said okay. I am gonna leave the area where the burn in occurs as a white image and move all the icons to another monitor for a couple weeks and see if it fixes it. Not gonna be deprived of it for weeks on end unless I really must.
 
Called Dell and after making me do a bunch of retarded BS, he told me to send it in. I asked him if I can wait and he said okay. I am gonna leave the area where the burn in occurs as a white image and move all the icons to another monitor for a couple weeks and see if it fixes it. Not gonna be deprived of it for weeks on end unless I really must.

Do you live in the United States? If so, Dell will overnight you a replacement U3011 and include a shipping label to return the defective monitor. I have done it a few times with my Ultrasharp and it really is painless. You won't be without a monitor for even a minute.
 
Do you live in the United States? If so, Dell will overnight you a replacement U3011 and include a shipping label to return the defective monitor. I have done it a few times with my Ultrasharp and it really is painless. You won't be without a monitor for even a minute.
This!!

I did it with my 3008 after about 18 months when it started powering off at random. You even can do it online if you don't want to speak to a CSR.
 
Oh, how nice... What about dead or stuck pixels? Mine currently has zero. I'd hate to receive a replacement that has even one.
 
Yes, that policy applies to even one dead/stuck pixel. :)

Technically speaking the Ultrasharp warranty will RMA a monitor if it has even a single bright pixel, while you need at least six dead pixels before you can get a replacement. That being said, when I've had to call them up for a replacement they seem almost eager to send out a replacement monitor. I'm pretty sure you have a good chance of getting a replacement if you call up about a dead pixel.
 
I just wanted to update that since I posted this I have had the stock windows 7 background instead of an all black one and the burn in is at least 60% faded away. Seems like it is slowly going away. I still have 11 months on my warranty, so no hurry.
 
So I take it you don't want to RMA it? If I were you, I would, chances of getting another monitor with a dead pixel are slim, and if you do get one, just send it back again.
 
So I take it you don't want to RMA it? If I were you, I would, chances of getting another monitor with a dead pixel are slim, and if you do get one, just send it back again.

If his current panel burned in... Odds are high his replacement would too. LCD makers have made stride in image permanence, but if you leave your panel for hours on end on a static image they'll burn in after a while.
 
I am still convinced it is not a bad panel. I think maybe it is my fault for mistreating it. If that is the case, then I will not RMA it. With any luck, it may continue to go away and be gone soon.
 
havent they updated the AG coating on u3011? so maybe worth to rma just to get the new revisison? :)
 
I've had LCDs burn in. They were cheap crap server monitors with the same display on 24/7 for years though.

I'm really surprised an expensive Dell would do this. I think all of us have some desktop icons that rarely get covered and don't get burn in. Do you have a screen saver/turn off display enabled under power options? Might help. At least the screen saver might speed up your "reset" time on the burn in.
 
Back
Top