• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

U3011 cannot display 2560x1600?

allen5055

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
1,556
So I just took a risk and ordered a substantially discounted U3011 off of ebay that the ebay (a powerseller with 70,000 sales) said that they couldn't make work at 2560x1600 but that worked at lower resolutions. They didn't try display port so I'm hoping the monitor will work just fine with my 7970 displayport connection. They said they tried HDMI and DVI. They've sold other monitors of this model so I'm assuming they had a card that supported this resolution.

Is this a known issue with the U3011?

Also, what about the warranty for these items? I'm sure that the monitor can't be that old, but would I be able to access the warranty since I'm a second user? I assume that the seller would have tried that already. When I see people on this forum selling their monitors they talk about the warranty still being available, so does that mean that the warranty is service-tag specific?

If I can't make the monitor run higher resolution I'll probably try to sell it, or perhaps I'll just run it at 1920x1200.


Here is the link to the auction

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30071188671...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_528wt_1123
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ebay seller said he used regular DVI. I wonder if he didn't use a dual link dvi cable? You need a dual link DVI cable to run it a 2560x1600.
 
Almost certainly due to use with a single link DVI cable. I have bought plenty of 30" panels for <$300 on eBay for this same reason.

Add a $2.50 dual link from Monoprice and profit away!
 
They've sold other monitors of this model so I'm assuming they had a card that supported this resolution.
Does seem a little odd, maybe they just used whatever cable came with it and it wasn't dual-link. If they are processing tons of items daily, could be they just didn't spend more than 5 min testing it. Maybe the same deal with the warranty, they probably got it cheap at wholesale and just didn't want to take time to deal with it.

Pretty sure the service tag is all that matters for the warranty. I'm thinking you are pretty safe either way.
 
Yep, 99.9% chance that you just need a dual-link dvi cable and all will be well. :)
 
Great! This is what I was gambling on. If this works I got a $1k monitor for a $400 discount!
 
Does anyone know about the warranty? Would a used item like this still have a warranty? Is it attached to the service tag or the person?
 
Back
Top