• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

U2311h dilemma

Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
18
Hi guys. I've had my Dell U2311H for a while now. It's mostly used for photo editing (Lightroom, DXO, Elements), movies and gaming.

I'm finding the 16:9 aspect ratio a bit claustrophobic in Lightroom and I'm thinking about upgrading. Budget-wise, the U2412m is bang on the money and it looks like a good performer. I've got a few reservations though - am I wasting my money for 120 pixels and is going from CCFL to LED a downgrade?

The only real alternative I can see is the U2711, but my workflow isn't really 10bit friendly and I've heard mixed reviews about srgb performance... I'm also a bit worried about whether my rig's got enough muscle for gaming at that res!

Cheers!
 
For the price of the u2412, I'd be looking at one of the cheap 27" panels (Catleap at al, or the Microcenter Auria) if you can work with a glossy screen. Or if you are considering the u2711 - what about the HP zr2740w? It doesn't have the wide-gamut display.

I personally don't see any downside to LED - the picture looks every bit as good as CCFL imho, thinner profile, much less heat, no warm-up time (the CCFL 27s and 30s can take awhile to warm up, which bugs me.)

Obviously with a 27" you are still at 16:9, but I assume the extra pixels would make up for it? For gaming, you can always drop the res down to 1920x1080.
 
I was pretty impressed with the HP, but lack of colour controls is a bit of a deal breaker for me. Can't believe a £600 monitor has less functionality for pros than a £250 Dell :confused:
 
So you have seen the HP in person? To me, the color seemed completely spot-on out of the box. I don't have hardware calibration tools, but just running through the MacOS color calibration, I don't think I touched anything. I'm not sure how much one would really need built-in adjustments.

I do architectural rendering for a living, so I'm pretty picky about color, though I'll admit I'm no pro when it comes to color management. I tried the Dell u2711, the wide-gamut was a nightmare; swapping inputs required slogging through a half-dozen menu items. I was just so pleased with the HP in comparison.
 
Back
Top