u2311 * 3 or 3007wfp-hc ?

U2311 * 3 or 3007wfp-hc

• Total voters
hmm, tough choice, i'd probably take the 30"er and then add 2x 20"s on the sides like i see most people doing.

mostly because the eyefinity configuration while it's awesome, lacks the screen realestate that a 30" has.

though i think i'd still go with the triple monitor setup because i cant stand resizing windows inside of 1 screen.

i just drag it to the upper right corner and let it sit there on my screens, haha.

Well, technically, the 3 23" setup has more screen realestate than the 30"

2560x1600 = 4mp
5760x1080 = 6mp

Id go with the 3. Great for multitasking. I love the ability to easily multitask. Throw a bunch of stuff on montior 1 to transfer in the background and watch a movie or play a game on monitor 2, while I watc.. err surf the web on monitor 3? WINNING!!!

Thats just me though. What exactly do you plan on doing with the setup? Guessing eyefinity isnt your biggest selling point otherwise you'd already be all over the u2311's.

The screen real estate argument is often redundant even in Windows where there are programs available to add multiple virtual desktops to your system, thus reducing the need for more physical screens. Depends how you want to work I guess, I personally go crazy trying to manage multiple workspaces.

You have to ask yourself if this is for the short or long term. If it was the long term I'd go for the 3007WFP-HC and try to add more later.

Also consider that the dot pitch will be smaller on a 30 incher. My eyes are young and strong but I still find it a bit of an issue at times, especially on the web where I find myself scrolling in to read some text.

As a side note, I personally was initially attracted to the new style Dell stands on their 10/11 models but they're freaking annoying when they swivel out of place in a multi-monitor configuration.

I've been coding in 1200x1600 at work and that's really a bit narrow. 1080xwhatever would be far worse. I think you'd see issues with browsing some sites as well. So I'd probably go the 30" route and grab a few refurbed or used 20" 4:3 displays to put on the sides.

Sorry I should have been more clear, I currently have the 3007wfp-hc, I'm considering swapping it out for 3 monitors :p It wouldn't cost me anything as the offer I have would cover 3 u2311s

3007WFP-HC will always be sexier than any 3 smaller monitors... well, maybe not WQHD 27 inchers haha.

Sorry I should have been more clear, I currently have the 3007wfp-hc, I'm considering swapping it out for 3 monitors :p It wouldn't cost me anything as the offer I have would cover 3 u2311s

I had three NEC EA231WMi's in eyefinity and traded them for a Dell 3007wpf-hc. I love it! Best decision ever.

For a change of pace then? If you like multitasking, more screens > virtual screens, sure. Otherwise I dont see the point in the going through the hassle of it all. The 30incher is nice and already has a high resolution. Unless you're just doing for more real estate then meh.

Of course if multitasking is the aim and you can get by with a virtual desktop solution then again meh. Stick with what you got. Just my $.02

Well, I decided to try it out anyway, If I don't like it I can always ditch the 23s and go back to a 30 =p pics when the monitors arrive.

My advice would be to get your hands on a couple Dell 2007fp's. That way it gives you some extra screen real estate. I've got one paired with my 3007 and I love it much better than three 23" screens (i had the Nec's I posted earlier). I'm gonna add another one at some point in the next couple months.

20110323002125.jpg

Some of these people that are voting don't even have eyefinity configurations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My advice would be to get your hands on a couple Dell 2007fp's. That way it gives you some extra screen real estate. I've got one paired with my 3007 and I love it much better than three 23" screens (i had the Nec's I posted earlier). I'm gonna add another one at some point in the next couple months.

20110323002125.jpg

I've tried this already actually, used my BenQ FP2091 (20" SIPS 1600x1200 does portrait), I liked it, but Eyefinity won't work with it.

Yeah, It's all personal preference, but it turned out that I enjoyed playing games on my single 30" more then I did across 3 wider smaller screens. I'm glad I traded for the 3007.

Yeah, It's all personal preference, but it turned out that I enjoyed playing games on my single 30" more then I did across 3 wider smaller screens. I'm glad I traded for the 3007.

multiple monitor for the win, where has it been all my life :confused:

IMO 3 x 23 > 1 30" =)

multiple monitor for the win, where has it been all my life :confused:

IMO 3 x 23 > 1 30" =)

Let's just hope that when AMD and nVidia choose to support PLP for eyefinity/surround I'll still own this setup. It will be a much more enjoyable experience then three of the monitors you're choosing.

Let's just hope that when AMD and nVidia choose to support PLP for eyefinity/surround I'll still own this setup. It will be a much more enjoyable experience then three of the monitors you're choosing.

well, that's what i waited for
since the launch of the 58xx series, im not holding my breath anymore =p the 3 in landscape is really nice though.

just so you know, i ended up going with 3x U2311H's, here's a pic of them in landscape mode.

142qvz8.jpg

Well, I tried the 3x23, while I did enjoy them, the u2311 has too many issues, 4 / 4 monitors were bad, I got sick of it and returned them, went back with a 30" :< using my old fp2091 in portrait as a side monitor, only really useful when browsing / playing windowed mode games.

for games, eyefinity wins in my opinion, hands down :) if AMD ever supports 20p x 30 x 20p I will pick up another 20" and call it a day.

Last edited:
I'm having this same dilemma as the OP. I've decided to upgrade my monitors, but I've been torn between spending another $360 for two more Asus VH236H 23" monitors or just buying a Dell 3011 or 2711. I have not a clue!

I would get the U3011, you can get the refurbs for $900, having tried both, I definitely prefer the 30"

30" is the cheaper alternative for me, 3 decent quality 23-24" = $1500, a single 30" is about $1000, I picked up an HP ZR30W, as I had already sold off my 3007wfp-hc, I say it's a slight improvement over the Dell, however it is larger ( bezels, depth, etc) either way, a single 30" can't go wrong :p

still, for gaming, specially BF BC2 I prefer 3 23 or 24" monitors in portrait.

40" with bezels ( eyefinity in portrait ) or 30" no bezels.

3 U2311s in portrait give you 39.2" of visible screen space, :p It's like having a high res 40" monitor.

Back