U.S. Residents Who Bought First-Model PlayStation 3 May Be Able To Claim Settlement

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Sony will be paying up for their decision to remove the “Other OS” option from the original PS3, which allowed you to install other operating systems such as Linux. I believe this was previously reported, but you couldn’t file a claim until now. Like anyone still has their receipt from something they bought in 2006…

…a class-action lawsuit that had emerged over the removal of the feature settled. Though Sony Computer Entertainment of America claims zero wrongdoing, any U.S. resident who bought an original-model PlayStation 3 between November 1, 2006 (a few weeks before the console's release date) and April 10, 2010 is entitled to a settlement of varying amounts, depending on how much proof they provide: if you can prove you actually used the Other OS option on your PlayStation 3, you can receive a $55 payment. If you simply mention that you intended to use your console's Other OS option but didn't, perceived the feature as a value-add, or felt the unit lost value when the feature was removed, you can claim $9.

It's a joke, one option was to provide a proof of purchase which is meaningless since yellowdog was the only available distro designed to work out of the box, and who would pay for a linux iso by snail mail in 2006?

Next was a screenshot of linux (right, like we wouldn't patch our gaming consoles in 10 years just to keep running linux under a crippled hypervisor with reduced cores and no GPU access).

Or proof of a linux partition (as if I'd keep the original 40gb hard drive in my ps3 for 10 years, mine died a horrible death and i replaced it with a laptop hdd after an upgrade).

Every single requirement is designed to underrepresent the scope of the problem so they can claim the feature never mattered. $9 isn't worth the aggravation of filing the paperwork and being reminded of the F-U settlement going straight to the lawyers when the check finally shows up. Class action only ever makes the lawyers rich, the victims never see anything of substance.

$9????? WTF?

How do you prove you used it 10 years later to get the 55??
Yeah that's the problem. They give examples on the site on how to prove other os usage but even though I did I have none of the proof they require. The last thing I have that even remotely proves I used it is the iso disc image of the linux install I used that is dated 2008. That apparently doesn't qualify. I can request I guess but they'll most likely deny it and I get $9. I wish I didn't wipe the original HD I had it installed on but seriously who would have thought I should keep it around unused cause we'll get $55 back from Sony when they removed this feature?

Jokes on you Sony. I still have my receipt on Best Buy's shitty thermal printer paper. Submit!

As always customers get pennies, the company doesn't recognize any wrong doing and layers get millions...

rinse and repeat...

I have the receipt but dont really have proof that i ran YDL on my ps3.
Used the logitech media board too.

I have the receipt but dont really have proof that i ran YDL on my ps3.
Used the logitech media board too.

I still have my mediaboard, just dug it out of the bottom of the coffee table last week. I nearly forgot what I used it for roflmao till this thread.

I got the fat PS3 and the box still, it that enough?

If you don't have the receipt, you need your PS3's serial number and the login name you created for the Playstation network, assuming you made an account during the window for this lawsuit.

Back