U can't make me use 120mm cooler.....maybe

marcnapier

n00b
Well all the parts, bits and pieces have been ordered except the HSF. But I just don't want to use any of the (really great I'm sure) 120mm solutions. They are just too freakin big.

So since I already have a Zalman 9500, I was going to order the 1156 rentention bracket for my Zalman to try and cool the i7 860 on the MSi P55-GD65 that is in shipping to me. Or,.......I was thinking of ordering this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233001

And this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233038

You're thoughts, recommendations, warnings?

tehdude

How much room do you have in your case, better yet, what case are/will you be using?

i used to run a 9500 on my q6600. the temps would hit 70+ under prime at 3.0 ghz. now im running a h50 and at 3.2 ghz i barely hit 50!!! i would think twice before using that 9500 with your new cpu.

Are you planning on overclocking? If not, then use the stock cooler. If yes, then take another look at those 120mm fan heatsinks, since you'll need one if you want to really get the most out of your chip. This is what I recommend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...03065&cm_re=hyper_212+-_-35-103-065-_-Product

Well I may OC a little but plan to see how much mileage I get out of the OC Genie button built into the board. Thanks, yes I've looked at the cooler you link and it's probably be a good choice, if I am forced to go that big, but don't want to.

How much room do you have in your case, better yet, what case are/will you be using?

Duh, sorry, I should have known better than to not list my case. Both my gaming rigs are in this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119152&cm_re=cooler_master-_-11-119-152-_-Product

tehdude

i don't think the 9500 is better then the stock i7 cooler. test both out and show your results.

i used that xig for a while and its nearly as good as the 120mm xigs. also check out the thermalright ultima 90.

the stock i7 is the half size , round intel crap. The 9500 is better than that for sure. It cools my sons 3.6ghz, 1.325 vcore 9400 quad very well. It may struggle with the i7, but so will the stocker with a good oc.

the stock i7 is the half size , round intel crap. The 9500 is better than that for sure. It cools my sons 3.6ghz, 1.325 vcore 9400 quad very well. It may struggle with the i7, but so will the stocker with a good oc.

do you run the fan at full speed?

i used to run a 9500 on my q6600. the temps would hit 70+ under prime at 3.0 ghz. now im running a h50 and at 3.2 ghz i barely hit 50!!! i would think twice before using that 9500 with your new cpu.

Thanks, but my Zalman on my ATI rig performs better than what your getting. It's got an E8500 OC'ed to 4.2GHz and I never get above like 55 when running games. I think in Prime95 when I was setting up the OC it got into the low 60s.

But, it's a dual core.

tehdude

This is what you want... and I searched high and low, and I think this is close to the cheapest price on the web. Good luck.

i don't think the 9500 is better then the stock i7 cooler. test both out and show your results.

Stock cooler wont even come out of the box, much less be mounted on any board of mine.

i used that xig for a while and its nearly as good as the 120mm xigs. also check out the thermalright ultima 90.

Thanks, yes I've looked at it and it would be a good choice too.

Precisely why neither should be used for overclocking.

I'm using 2 Zalmans right now for overclocking. As I said Intel/ATI rig running at 4.2GHz and Intel/Nvidia rig at 4.27. Both run fine and cool. But we agree on stock cooler.

Thanks, but again it's 120mm. I just don't want one these behemouths in my rig. Unless that's the only way to tame it.

tehdude

Soo....What is your reason for not wanting a 120mm cooler? They will all fit fine in the 590 case. And offer far better bang for the buck over the 92mm coolers, you also get far better cooling for the amount of noise you will be dealing with.

The True Ultra 120 1366 really is not that big. That is why I chose it. And it cools real nice...

Soo....What is your reason for not wanting a 120mm cooler? They will all fit fine in the 590 case. And offer far better bang for the buck over the 92mm coolers, you also get far better cooling for the amount of noise you will be dealing with.

Well for one I think it's just rediculous that these things have to be so big. When I saw I might have to get one though I actually looked at the Corsair H50, but Kyle pretty much shot it down in the 3 video reviews he did. And the 92mm Zalmans I have do a good job, but they arent cooling the i7 860. I dunno....just the size I guess is what I don't like, and the fact that many block the first RAM slot.

The True Ultra 120 1366 really is not that big. That is why I chose it. And it cools real nice...

Yeah it's nice, but does it block any RAM slots?

tehdude

But if I get one of these behemoths, can anyone suggest a SILENT fan? I know of the Noctua fans, but unless I am just not finding it, they don't have PWM, just those funky wire adapters for low/med/high.

tehdude

True, no PWM. Though I find with a LNA and the fan running at 1000 RPM, they're close to silent. Have 5 of them in my PC at 1000RPM and I'm very picky about noise :)

For PWM fans, the Arctic Cooling 120mm PWM Fans use the SFDB bearing and are generally good quality.

AC 120MM PWM @ NewEgg

True, no PWM. Though I find with a LNA and the fan running at 1000 RPM, they're close to silent. Have 5 of them in my PC at 1000RPM and I'm very picky about noise :)

For PWM fans, the Arctic Cooling 120mm PWM Fans use the SFDB bearing and are generally good quality.

AC 120MM PWM @ NewEgg

Thanks. Nice fan, too bad no one (that I ever heard of) has one. Bunch of no name sellers turned up on Google search and Newegg is out of stock. LNA?

May have to go Noctua but will put fan controller with knob to crank up when needed. But OMG Noctua are just butt ugly. What are they thinking with that color scheme?

Ahh, very unfamiliar with the smaller heatsinks myself. For most machines I build in smaller tower cases, I generally use the Noctua NH-UB9 or equivalent.

Thanks, yes that may be the one. But I have to ask, does it block any RAM slots? Looks a little thick.

Thanks, TX3 looks a little cheap but may perform well. Zerotherm is very intseresting, I kinda like the idea that the fan is imbedded, but can you swap it out? Looks like some screws on the top where the top could be removed and a new fan slid in.

But the the real problem with both of these is push pins. Man, I'm picky aren't I?

tehdude

Nothing wrong with being picky. PC's are like the children we never had, we have to treat 'em right :)

But I have to ask, does it block any RAM slots? Looks a little thick.

Never seen it block any ram slots. It looks a little thicker than it actually is because it's not very wide or tall. Noctua fans and CPU coolers come with two little dongle adapaters for each fan. One's a ULNA (Ultra Low Noise Adapter) and one's a LNA (Low Noise Adapter). The LNA takes the fans RPM down by just enough to make them silent.

Nothing wrong with being picky. PC's are like the children we never had, we have to treat 'em right :)

Never seen it block any ram slots. It looks a little thicker than it actually is because it's not very wide or tall. Noctua fans and CPU coolers come with two little dongle adapaters for each fan. One's a ULNA (Ultra Low Noise Adapter) and one's a LNA (Low Noise Adapter). The LNA takes the fans RPM down by just enough to make them silent.

Thanks. Well here goes picky again: Since there are probably no real good silent 92mm x 25mm PWM, fans although I haven't looked yet, do you just plug the 3 pin from LNA into the CPU fan connector and disable throttling in BIOS? How exactly do the Noctua fans connect up when you install them?

tehdude

Arctic Cooling also sell a 92mm variant of the 120mm version I linked earlier, though I recommend sticking with the included Noctua fans. You simply add the adapter onto the end of the 3-pin Noctua fan leads, add on the 3-pin splitter, then plug that onto the CPU fan header. In BIOS, simply disable Smart Fan Control. I often find the difference between 1 and 2 fans is only 1 or 2 degrees, so only using one of the fans is an option if found necessary or you want to reduce noise even further,

What matters more to you performance or the size and the look of the cooler?

If you cannot answer that you are better off using the stock cooler and not overclocking at all.
With a 130 watt cpu you cannot have a small cooler and great performance it just doesn't work they produce way too much heat.

You might aswell look at watercooling the whole rig for a much higher price tag.

What matters more to you performance or the size and the look of the cooler?

If you cannot answer that you are better off using the stock cooler and not overclocking at all.
With a 130 watt cpu you cannot have a small cooler and great performance it just doesn't work they produce way too much heat.

You might aswell look at watercooling the whole rig for a much higher price tag.

Your i7 920 is 130w, the 860 is 95 w.

tehdude

I put in another vote for the Corsair H50--it's quiet and effective and decently small. I had my 920 up to 4.1 stable with it. Just wait for it to be on sale and pick it up for cheap.

I put in another vote for the Corsair H50--it's quiet and effective and decently small. I had my 920 up to 4.1 stable with it. Just wait for it to be on sale and pick it up for cheap.

If they just had made the hoses longer so that the radiator would sit outside the case, I would probably be sold.

tehdude

If they just had made the hoses longer so that the radiator would sit outside the case, I would probably be sold.

tehdude
There's still plenty of room inside the case to mount the radiator if you do want to go with an H50.

Back