Typical Temps for AMD 7xxx Series Cards

Cod

Gawd
Does anyone know the typical temps that 7xxx series cards run? My 7850 currently hovers around 36 C at little-to-no load and ~68 C at high loads (> 90%). I feel like these temps are good, but curious as to what typical was since I'd like to lower some fan speeds to make things a little quieter.

Also, along the same lines, do those PCI fans / blowers work? I noticed their pretty inexpensive, but never known anyone to actually use one.

I use the auto profile of MSI Afterburner as well. I'm wondering if I should create my own that is a little quieter...

7870 xfire in gigabyte windforce3s. idle is 21c, max is 57c,

Wow - that's a pretty good temp. :) OP - I think your temp ranges are probably fine. I can't remember off the top of my head, but my HIS HD-7750 does something similar to your numbers.

Does anyone know the typical temps that 7xxx series cards run? My 7850 currently hovers around 36 C at little-to-no load and ~68 C at high loads (> 90%). I feel like these temps are good, but curious as to what typical was since I'd like to lower some fan speeds to make things a little quieter.

Also, along the same lines, do those PCI fans / blowers work? I noticed their pretty inexpensive, but never known anyone to actually use one.

Sounds reasonable for the reference cooler and some of the lower end "custom" coolers. As mentioned by someone else in the thread, you'll get lower numbers with Windforce 3x, DirectCU II, etc...

As for the PCI fans/blowers, they're cheap because its usually a crap bushing fan motor that will break within a year. They usually extract air from the case and push it out the back, and in a well designed case with good airflow, I would contend that they disrupt that air from going where it is designed. Therefore, I'm generally not a fan (har har har) of them.

I'm running 3 7950's and they run 24x7 at full load

2 of the cards (XFX and Saphire) are under 80C while my other card (XFX) is at 96C or so, but this card has 1 fan that is totally seized. When the card decides to finally kick the bucket, I'll RMA it. Been running it like this for 2 months easily and still going strong.

My past setup was 3 MSI 6950's twinfrozr and I had to RMA those like 3 times in 1.25 year for fans seizing. That was no joke.

I'm running 2x 7950 reference...

before my top card was 86C and the bottom was 80C...
Now I put a 140mm fan on the side of the cards and the top one max on 75 and the bottom one 70.

Both overclocked.

My 7970 ghz was getting to 90+ temps on overclock, but then I replaced the thermal paste with some MX-2 and they went down to under 70.

Back