Typical/Standard server rack depth?

Dr. X

Supreme [H]ardness
Not sure where else to put this - I'm putting together the server rack for our new office space and I'm wondering if there is a standard or most common depth for a server rack. It is adjustable from 24"-36". I know most components have rails that are adjustable to accommodate different depths, so I'm just wondering if there is an average depth that I should set the rack at before I bolt it down to the floor.

I don't have a good answer for this but I'd try asking the people in the Networking forum. They can probobly give you a proper answer.

Depends.

If you've bought a square hole rack and you intend on putting servers in there, you'll want 29 inches between the front of the front rail and the back of the back rail. That's for HP servers, Dell or whomever else is similar.

If you're getting network equipment or something else that needs a 4 post rack, check the manuals.

In any case, make sure you put the sides no closer than 4 inches from the wall, for ventilation. Most network gear is side to side vents. You don't want the air intake to be jammed up against a wall. At least 3 feet from the back of the rails to the wall, so you can get behind there and work.

It might be helpful to look at the installation guidelines for a real rack enclosure.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00883424/c00883424.pdf

Depends.

If you've bought a square hole rack and you intend on putting servers in there, you'll want 29 inches between the front of the front rail and the back of the back rail. That's for HP servers, Dell or whomever else is similar.

If you're getting network equipment or something else that needs a 4 post rack, check the manuals.

In any case, make sure you put the sides no closer than 4 inches from the wall, for ventilation. Most network gear is side to side vents. You don't want the air intake to be jammed up against a wall. At least 3 feet from the back of the rails to the wall, so you can get behind there and work.

It might be helpful to look at the installation guidelines for a real rack enclosure.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00883424/c00883424.pdf

Excellent, thanks so much. It's a 4 post threaded hole rack. Our current server and other equipment in the old crappy rack is all cantilevered. I'll be moving that stuff, but we're probably getting a new Dell R510 or R610 server. So 29" would be good, or is that just minimum? Could I go a little bigger to be safe?

Excellent, thanks so much. It's a 4 post threaded hole rack. Our current server and other equipment in the old crappy rack is all cantilevered. I'll be moving that stuff, but we're probably getting a new Dell R510 or R610 server. So 29" would be good, or is that just minimum? Could I go a little bigger to be safe?
Personally, I wouldn't set the posts to be further than 29".

Seeing that you're using the Dell R510 machines, those use the same rails as the R710's we use here. Contact your Dell rep, let them know you're using threaded hole posts, and get confirmation that the 2U rails will work in the threaded holes. (We have a few R710 machines, and I know the 2U "quick" rails from Dell won't work as-is in threaded hole posts.) And also ask for the possible depths that the 2U rails can handle.

Personally, I wouldn't set the posts to be further than 29".

Seeing that you're using the Dell R510 machines, those use the same rails as the R710's we use here. Contact your Dell rep, let them know you're using threaded hole posts, and get confirmation that the 2U rails will work in the threaded holes. (We have a few R710 machines, and I know the 2U "quick" rails from Dell won't work as-is in threaded hole posts.) And also ask for the possible depths that the 2U rails can handle.

I'll go with 29" then. I read that with the threaded holes you need an adapter for the Dell ready rails. I'll contact them to confirm. Thanks again.

Back