Typical pump failure mode

DanNeely

Supreme [H]ardness
My current MCP-350 pump is almost 5 years old, which is close to the rated 50,000h (5.6 year) MTBF. I'd like to delay replacing it until I built my new loop this summer (LGA2011, or Bulldozer), but if the failure is likely to damage my system (leak, or CPU frying before thermal shutdown) an earlier replacement is an option.

I really have no clue what you're asking. Are you asking us if you should replace your pump because it is near the end of its MTBF? Just use a flow meter, or watch your reservoir and your temps. When you see something strange, shut it down then and then replace the pump.

I have a MCP655 with a 50,000h MTBF, manufactured in 2005. It is still going strong, I am not too worried about it failing.

If you're expecting it to fail DO NOT leave your PC on 24/7. I'd get a replacement ASAP if you think it's on its way out. Whether you get a new pump in the summer or now you're still spending the same amount of money what it comes down to is if you want to risk your hardware being damaged.

My temps are normal at present, if there were any indications it was starting to fail and not just approaching the end of its design life, I'd've yanked it.

My question is what happens when/if it dies. If it just stops pumping and my system (at full CPU load) heats up slowly enough that the thermal protection circuit can shut everything down safely, and display a CPU fan not spinning error at POST time then wait and see seems to be a reasonable option.

If it stops pumping and overheats fast enough to damage components before shut down, if springing a leak, or another catastrophic failure is possibility then it probably should be replaced sooner.

Use your bios auto-shutdown safety features. How fast it overheats depends on what you're running at the time of the overheat. Water has a fairly high heat capacity, so it can take a few minutes after pump shutdown to overheat.

I use Coretemp, and that has a built in feature where if it detects the CPU running over a certain temperature (you can set this temperature yourself), it'll automatically shut down my system. Also, the MCP355 has a tachometer, so you can plug that into your motherboard CPU fan slot, and have your motherboard automatically warn you if the RPM suddenly turns to 0.

You should get a replacement pump now, just to have things handy when you need it. That way, there will be minimal down time. Pump prices are very unlikely to change dramatically in the next 6 months or so.

I've had a pump die on me while I was out for 5 hours I don't know when it died, but my PC was still on and my tubing warped coming from the CPU block. Thankfully my CPU was fine, but I'd like to not take that chance again since I knew it was dying.

If your pump dies your CPU will shut itself down within about 5 seconds. I've had problems with my loop in the past and never have lost any hardware. MTBF means the average life of the pump based primarily on formula and not actual usage statistics. If it ain't broke no need to fix it as your current pump could last another five years. If it starts making noise or you notice other problems then is the time to replace it.

CPU frying before thermal shutdown

extremely unlikely, if you're talking about the i7 in your sig. it takes 100*C to trigger clock modulation and about 135*C to send the THERMTRIP signal.

I definitely second running CoreTemp and set it to shutdown at a certain temp, especially depending on your motherboard. On my mobo, there is no adjustable temp shutdown, so I just have it set to shutdown at 60C in CoreTemp since my CPU never gets above 50C under load currently. It might be a good idea to go ahead and buy the pump you intend to use for your new build now; as has been said, it seems unlikely that pump prices will change, and this way you would have minimal downtime. As was said, MTBF is just an average; there are probably plenty of pumps that have lasted quite a bit longer, and I'm sure there are many that have failed early.

Back