Typical CPU - System temps?

NumberTwo

Weaksauce
I bit the bullet and finally built my first system. Just curious what temps are good, and which arent.

Thermaltake VA8000B Case
2.4 Core2Duo
2 gig Corsair DDR-800
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe WiFi
2 320gb Barracuda 7200.10's ran RAID1
8800 GTS 640MB PCI-E
850Watt OCZ PSU

Just got done doing some midrange gaming and the CPU is at 23C and the system is at 42C according to the Ai Booster program that came with the motherboard. This is the first time Ive concerned myself with temps. Whats borderline?

TIA

For the CPU, 60 degrees celsius is generally considered the borderline, but according to Intel, temps under 85 degrees celsius are "safe" for the Core 2 Duo, so your CPU temp is totally fine. As for your system temps, they are a little high, but not dangerously high. Consider rewiring to create better airflow or getting more fans.

As for your system temps, they are a little high, but not dangerously high. Consider rewiring to create better airflow or getting more fans.
Your "system" temp seems high, not your CPU temp. Your case should have good airflow, but did you install the optional fan for your motherboard? If not, install it. If so, make sure your case wiring isn't airflow intrusive, like alt.pured said.

So whats an optimal temp for the "System"? I have a 120MM front fan, 120MM rear fan, a 90MM rear and a 90MM top fan. I didnt install the optional MB fan because it states "install only if you are using a passive cooler or a water cooler. Installing the optional fan with an active CPU cooler will interferewith the airflow and destabilize the system.". Ill try to rewire it for less obstruction. Thanks for the replies.

im betting youre system and CPU temps are inverse... 42 makes more sense for CPU, not to mention its impossible on air cooling to have a lower CPU than ambient... (dont bring air cooled peltiers into this. at 42 ambient, they wouldnt cool the hot plate enough to go that low. )

AI.JPG

Hmm, after looking at this again I think I know the problem, but not too sure. The MoBo has a 3 pin hook up for the fans. Theres 4 in total. The fans that came in my case have the connector to fit the MoBo hook up, but theres only 1 wire (Yellow), and only 2 fans have that lead. The black and red wires are wired into 4 pin plugs (Male and Female, jumper?) MOLEX or whatever plugs. The CPU's fan speed adjusts with load (Q Control) but the case fans stay at a fixed rate (1400ish RPM's). Are most fans like this, or are they 3 wired? Wondering if I should buy other fans to replace the stockers that the case came with.
:confused:

Back