• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Typical BFG GeForce 6800GT Overclocks?

PKFGimpy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 4, 2005
Messages
313
Hi,

A few months ago I got a BFG 6800 GT OC 256MB AGP card along with an Asus A8V MB, 1gig Kingston DDR400, and an Athlon64 3200.

Lately I've been trying to pump a few extra Mhz out of it.

The stock clocks are 370Mhz core and 1000Mhz memory.

I've applied the coolbits registry hack and have tried upping these speeds. I'm not certain at what point the core speed becomes unstable, but it seems that even clocking it up to 1070Mhz memory clock, it freezes up the computer while under load.

One thing that I've noticed is I do not get any artifacting or abnormal behavior in games before the computer locks up. With previous video cards I would normally keep increasing the clock speeds until graphical anomolies start appearing in games, but with this card, it never happens. Is this normal?

Does anyone know how high the BFG cards typically overclock to? Any ideas about why the card would just lock up without even overheating or showing any artifacting beforehand?

Perhaps overclocking the GeForce6800 requires something that I didn't know about, anyone care to enlighten me??

Thanks. :)
 
wrong forum, but it's a simple answer as for overclocking.
YMMV.

...but as always make sure you have a fresh molex connector to your card, if it's a head issue then maybe reapply the cooler with something better
 
you didn't say what power supply you have, this was an issue with some O/C on that card

also, fwiw, i have the same card, and it wont do over 1070 on mem without hanging up- not worth it- i did the bios flash for extra voltage and the card auto detected at 431/1120

but stock cooling made me flash back

my core will do 400 easily, stock, have you tried bumping just the core freq?
 
I have played around with the core speeds and it seems to start losing stability at around 400Mhz.

I guess my main question right now is about the lack of artifacting. Under normal circumstances, should I see artifacting before I see complete lock-ups when I slowly increase the clock speeds on this card?

I should also mention, when it locks up, the entire screen glitches up and displays a harsh repeating bright pattern. The only way out is a hard reset.

Does this suggest voltage issues or lack of power, as opposed to simply maxing out the video card?

I don't know the brand, but I'm running a 450W power supply. I do not have 5 million hard drives and 15 thousand fans in the computer, so I'm pretty sure there is plenty of power available for my video card to suck. I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure the video card is getting its own molex connector.
 
My vid cards have always artifacted if I got the memory too high, and would lock up if I set the core too high. I am no expert, but it sounds like you set your mem too high. My ram does the repeating garbage screen if I go over 1070 on the ram. BUT I did try the bios flash for the 6800gt, raising the vcore from 1.3 to 1.4, and my auto detect went from 413/1.07 to 431 1.12. Extra V on either core or ram seems to help but be sure you can cool it. :D
HTH
 
My BFG 6800GT went 420/1100 without any problems. I stoppped there because I am still using the stock cooler and didnt want to push it any further. As stated earlier, with overclocking YMMV and every one will get different results.
 
POsts like this make me really glad i spent the extra to get the gainward, 438/1170 on stock cooling, with reasonable temps, lovely jubbly, just need to get some cash together for watercooling, ooooh, sweetness
Sorry for the gloating.
 
Mine did 420/1000 stable on stock cooling. Even had it on the same power lead as 2 fans and my hard drive.
 
What are the temperatures under load? That is probably the limiting factor with a 6800 GT OC using stock cooling. With an NV Silencer 5 I've gone as high as 430/1100 stable.
 
Back
Top