Typical 939 X2 OC limits?

Bakku

Limp Gawd
i got an old 939 Opteron 180 from my friend, which he's not using anymore. i am just wondering what's the typical OC you guys are getting? i just started the OCCT run last night, right now it's passing 2.6GHz @ 1.4v. what you guys recommend for the MAX voltage that i could apply on this cpu? and what kind of reasonable OC could i expect from it?

I have an opty 165, and I'm at 2.9Ghz. Everyone seems to get about 2.7-2.9Ghz on air. A lot of it depends on your cooling.

As for voltage, I never go past 1.475v in the bios, but CPUz and the BIOS hardware monitor report it as being about 1.44v. I've heard of people going all the way up to 1.5, but I have never done that, and I never plan on doing it. Plus, it seems to get less stable at 1.48v, regardless of temps.

See what you can do. The safe zone for temps seems to be about 65, and that's pushing it. Ideally, you'd want to keep it under 60.

And, for some reason, my whole system is a lot more stable when I run the HTT at 1.3Ghz instead of 1Ghz, and it's even worse at 600mhz.

I have an a8n32 sli deluxe, if you were wondering. I'm not sure how different those boards are.

it's interesting to know your setup is actually more stable with HTT @ 1.3CHz than 1GHz. i'll try that trick later when pushing the cpu further.

i'd expect X2 runs hotter than my FX-55, but i didnt know the X2s could withstand temps above 60C without crushing. thanks for the info, they are very useful and i appreciate it.

I had my decapped Opteron 175 (worst stepping) at 2.8Ghz on air - Big Typhoon

HTT speed doesn't do jack for performance, unless its ultra low, or unstablely high. None of the Nforce4's ive seen could stably break 1000mhz on a consistant basis, even by 5mhz in some cases, my board fails @ 212x5, the highest anyone ever got I believe was 1110mhz on a DFI-ultra-D on NF4 , the ATi RD580 chipset was the first one that could go over 1000mhz pretty easily. I don't know if any Nforce5 amd chipset could easly break 1000mhz on every board like RD580, but it was based off nforce4 so I don't think so.

IF you get a late enough chip (ive heard 939s have been found as old as week 742), you mite be able to work out 3.1-3.2 ghz out of it on the right board, on air. Most ones in the week 530- to AM2's launch have been hit and miss, the good chips usually hit 2.8-2.9ghz on air, the bad ones, 2.6.

Depends on how early or late it is. My two early chips maxed out at 2.7 - 2.77 @1.5. A friends opty 175 maxed out at 2.5 @ 1.5.

i seem to hit the ceiling around 2.7GHz @ 1.475v. the voltage seems not helping too much if i keep pushing it. the load temp is reaching around 52~54C right now. i guess this is just an average chip.....hmmm.....

Just to answer the original question: 90nm K8s (with good cooling keeping temperatures at good levels) are happy with a max of 1.5-1.55v.

I'm rocking 2.65 around 1.5 running 24/7 for about 2 years now Opty 170 when they first came out, paid 370 bucks for that bad boy, awesome.

it's interesting to know your setup is actually more stable with HTT @ 1.3CHz than 1GHz. i'll try that trick later when pushing the cpu further.

i'd expect X2 runs hotter than my FX-55, but i didnt know the X2s could withstand temps above 60C without crushing. thanks for the info, they are very useful and i appreciate it.

yeah, I have no idea either, but it's definitely the case. I was going to make a post if anyone knew anything about it. It flies in the face of conventional overclocking wisdom, but whatever. It works, and I got my RAM running at a good speed.

EDIT: I forgot to say, I bought all of this pretty late in the game. It was about last september.

Back