Type of RAM chip on PDP/Patriot "PEP1G3200LLK" and overclocking...

[Tripod]MajorPayne

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone else has the PEP1G3200LLK RAM from Patriot or PDP as they might be known (NOT the +XBLK stuff, that's known TCCD). I heard that it could be some kind of Mosel Vitec 5ns chips, or CH-5, or TCC5 chips. I was wondering if someone had these and knew what kind of chips they were, or better yet, has overclocked with them and can tell me what to expect once I finally get my good heatsink for my 3.2E space heater. I read one review (once I could find the right model name) that showed them reaching 249 FSB with 3-4-4-8 T1 @ 2.7 volts. That's right about at the same level of the PC4000 of the same make, 250 with 3-4-4-8 T1. I have a little active cooling on the RAM (Read: ghetto rigged 120 mm fan blowing on DIMM sockets) and I think I should get a decent overclock if I can get my FSB up.

Does anyone know of a BIOS that will allow me to drop the multi on the Prescott with my P4S800-D (SiS 655FX Northbridge), or am I stuck like I am?

Also, if I pry the heatspreaders off to check the chips, should I try to put them back on or just leave them off? I've heard people recommend both ways, does it really make a difference if I do have a fan blowing over them?

Thanks in advance!

Well, I'll reply to my own thread until someone responds, darnit! ;)

I got the XP-90 today and so far the RAM has hit 225mhz @ 2.5-3-3-6 T1, 2.65vdimm. The processor has a 16x multiplier, so that puts me at 3600 Mhz, but it'll still go higher, i'm only at about 42C idle, and the load delta is miniscule. Plus, I had it running at 64C before, unwittingly, and it didn't melt, so I'm going to keep clocking it up! :D

I think the 92mm fan helps, along with the 120mm i cut into my side panel today, it's over the XP-90 and the RAM. Both of these fans are blowing downwards (intake for the 120, and the 92mm is "pulling" air down to the CPU, so they kind of work together). I might test both fans as exhaust, the 120 pulling air out and the 92mm pulling air from up under the XP-90, through the fins and then out of the fan, if that makes any sense.

Back