Tygon/Vinyl/PVC + alcohol = mush?

SledgeMakeGood

Weaksauce
"When using a methanol mix it is a good idea to use silicone tubing, because it is more resistant to methanol than Tygon (vinyl) tubing."

PC Water Coolant Chemistry - Part II (overclockers.com, article page 12)

Anybody have experience with this? I had a dilution of alcohol in regular vinyl tubing for a while but I never noticed any degradation (other than the usual vinyl-to-ass conversion that we're all familiar with). Since I like to use alcohol as an antimicrobial, this caught my attention.

Is this just with methanol or with isopropanol too? I'd imagine it doesn't make a difference, but I never noticed a problem, and I'd like to try running an alcohol solution for a while as it has a lower freezing point and lower viscosity than water, and mixes well with it. I decided on it because it's colorless and doesn't stain, unlike coolant additives. My main problem is algae, not corrosion, so I'm looking into alcohol-friendly coolant additives (none so far) to deal with corrosion, surface tension, pH, and the other things that need to be addressed.

On another note, if you look on page 15, the writer gives an example of different routes to take on coolant mixtures.

Trust me: don't mix isopropyl with Water Wetter.

The writer doesn't suggest this, exactly, but one example includes methanol and coolant additives. I don't know precisely if this will produce the same effect as isopropyl, but, you know, don't do what I did. It really throws a monkey wrench into the works.

Back