Tyan S7012 Locks up when two CPU's installed

smidley

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 3, 2010
Messages
114
I have a Tyan S7012 motherboard that I have been using for awhile now as my home server. When I first got the board, it came with two Xeon E5530 CPU's. I used it for about a day and then it would lock up and I would have to reboot it and it would work for another day. I removed one of the CPU's and it became fully stable. Both of the old CPU's have the same stepping, etc.

Fast forward to today. I thought that the CPU I previously removed was bad, so I got a new set of CPUs. This time they are Xeon E5540's. I installed both of them last night and everything seemed to be going fine. Booted up into the OS and was running things perfectly. After about an hour or so, the system locked up. So at this point I'm wondering if I have a bad motherboard. I checked temperatures on everything while it was booted up and everything was normal. Anyone know what else I can troubleshoot?
 
No experience with those kinds of motherboards, but any way to raise motherboard voltages somehow?

I remember old 775 boards needing a little more DRAM voltage when all 4 slots were populated.
 
Try a single stick of ram and 1 cpu. Test all your sticks of RAM with that cpu, then do the same with the other cpu.

usually a server board will not boot with a bad cpu.
 
If both CPUs work individually. I would try fiddling with the voltages, it's a long shot, but sometimes one of the buses or chipsets will need a tad more juice for stability
 
If both CPUs work individually. I would try fiddling with the voltages, it's a long shot, but sometimes one of the buses or chipsets will need a tad more juice for stability

Its a server board, the chances of altering voltages won't be great. I can't change the voltages on my 2p board
 
Back
Top