tyan s2882-d misbehaving with 2 dimms per proc

wazoo42

Gawd
I have some corsair pc3200 reg/ecc low latency that I used on my iwill dk8x, and it is giving me problems on the tyan k8sd pro (for the record, I never had any problems with it on the iwill). When I have two dimms per processor I get a bios error saying that there was a memory r/w error, and if I try to install linux or run memtest the computer reboots almost instantly. However, if I have 2 dimms on one proc and 1 dimm on the other it appears to be ok. Also, if I have all 4 dimms on one proc it appears to be ok. There are a couple more configs I would like to try, but I have tried other memory sockets (ie I used the 2 closest to the proc and then the 2 furthest from the proc). It had an old bios (march 05) which was not even listed on the website. I updated the bios and still got the same problems. I tried with and without ecc chipkill and it makes no difference. I also tried chaning the pairing and it made no difference. Any ideas? I am getting some more memory in a few days so I will see if it is just the board not liking my memory.

Ok, here is the new info. It has issues with running in 128bit mode on the second processor. I am now running memtest with the dimms installed in slots 1 and 3 for each proc and it looks like it is fine. Now comes the hard part, what is causing the problem (the ram, the mobo, the cpu(s))? I will be getting another one soon so I should be able to try it out.

Is the memory officially supported by Tyan? Check on their site to be sure. The motherboard may not support the voltage the memory runs at.

I looked on tyan's website and they only list pc2100 and pc2700, what gives? Are they really that out of it? I have a hard time believing they don't support pc3200.

wazoo42 said:
I looked on tyan's website and they only list pc2100 and pc2700, what gives? Are they really that out of it? I have a hard time believing they don't support pc3200.

I agree...
The speed of the memory shouldn't matter. If it's PC3200 RAM in a mobo that will only go PC2700 then it should run at PC2700.

As far as what gives...server/workstation motherboards are generally slower than enthusist motherboards. Also look at the age of the board, if it's design is over a year old then it probably hasn't been updated.

luck

wazoo42: said:
No, the speed rating would have little to do with it, but other specs could drastically affect compatibility. Tyan should have a list of supported modules for your board somewhere on their site. For my S2462 there is a list. That's how I found out that my original Crucial modules weren't officially supported even though they were registered ECC PC2100. There are other factors involved, and I was forced to purchase the same type of memory but from Corsair, which was officially supported.

is the memory 64-bit (single side) or 128-bit (chips on both sides)

The Opterons don't have the same memory porblems that the desktop parts do. With registered memory, you can run four 2GB dimms per proc for 8GB per Opteron. We have a box setup at with like that, and it doesn't have any Issues. I don't think loading is the problem. I would pick up memory from the recommended list.

It looks like it was the memory. I put the new stuff in (kingston ddr400 4x1GB) and it doesn't seem to have any problems thus far.

I run eight 512-meg sticks in my S2882-notD without a problem.

Back