TX850 power supply problems?

Methadras

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay, so I have a TX850 and it runs like a champ, but last night I shut up my machine and tried to turn it on this morning and it won't power up. Motherboard is lit up, but even hitting the power button the motherboard doesn't make it power up. I didn' t have time to diagnose it cause I had to get to work, but I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has had this problem before. I'm sure it's not unique, but I've never run into it and this PS has been a rock with no issues. Is it my PS, my MB? Like I said, the MB lights up, but even if I hit the boot switch on the motherboard, nothing. Thanks for any help.

Has anyone run into a problem like this before or am I in the wrong place?

Most likely some other issue.
Check the power button works/manually make the power up connection.

Unplug things to see if it starts to work.

Test the PSU can power up by disconnecting it from everything and then shorting the green lead to black on the main motherboard connector.

Hmm. Did you check your front panel cables connected to the motherboard? I've had the cable that controls the power switch slip off the front panel header on my motherboard before

Okay, so I have a TX850 and it runs like a champ, but last night I shut up my machine and tried to turn it on this morning and it won't power up. Motherboard is lit up, but even hitting the power button the motherboard doesn't make it power up. I didn' t have time to diagnose it cause I had to get to work, but I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has had this problem before. I'm sure it's not unique, but I've never run into it and this PS has been a rock with no issues. Is it my PS, my MB? Like I said, the MB lights up, but even if I hit the boot switch on the motherboard, nothing. Thanks for any help.

Start off simple...

Try another outlet. Check the power cord. All that silly stuff.

Have a spare PC or a friend that will let you throw your psu in his and his in yours? This will be a really big help in determining what may be at fault. Paperclip isn't always the best method to determine this. How old is the motherboard? Look for swollen or busted caps. Take a sniff and see if you detect any toasted parts. Do the case fans come on with the mobo? Onboard video or graphics card?

The way it reads, pressing the power button makes the mobo leds click on, but nothing else. Is this accurate?

Try clearing cmos.

You might be in a world of aggravation. If the PSU powers on another PC without problems, you will need to go through a lot of steps. Start with a bare minimum cpu, 1 stick memory, onboard graphics if you have it. Then add a piece at a time. I feel for ya.

Hmm. Did you check your front panel cables connected to the motherboard? I've had the cable that controls the power switch slip off the front panel header on my motherboard before

I've had a power button break before and just threw the reset button over to the power headers and voila. That was irritating to find.

I suggest trying to reset your cmos while having your computer disconnected. Then try booting it up after 30 seconds. If this doesn't work you may have a capacitor failure inside the psu and RMA time.

Most likely some other issue.
Check the power button works/manually make the power up connection.

Unplug things to see if it starts to work.

Test the PSU can power up by disconnecting it from everything and then shorting the green lead to black on the main motherboard connector.

Power button on the motherboard lights up but does not work when i press it. Neither does the connection on the case.

Tested the PSU by bridging the black and green wires and it powers up no problem. I took everything out one by one, even swapped cpu's and nothing. It's 99% the motherboard.

Start off simple...

Try another outlet. Check the power cord. All that silly stuff.

Have a spare PC or a friend that will let you throw your psu in his and his in yours? This will be a really big help in determining what may be at fault. Paperclip isn't always the best method to determine this. How old is the motherboard? Look for swollen or busted caps. Take a sniff and see if you detect any toasted parts. Do the case fans come on with the mobo? Onboard video or graphics card?

The way it reads, pressing the power button makes the mobo leds click on, but nothing else. Is this accurate?

Try clearing cmos.

You might be in a world of aggravation. If the PSU powers on another PC without problems, you will need to go through a lot of steps. Start with a bare minimum cpu, 1 stick memory, onboard graphics if you have it. Then add a piece at a time. I feel for ya.

Yeah, i did all of that and I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard now. Going to replace that. Should just upgrade at this point. :D

You've been asked certain things so that we can narrow the problem down.
Your answer to The Recessionist is woeful, I dont believe you 'did all that'.
Give the results of each test.

Did you short the power on connection on the motherboard?
Did you test with everything else unplugged from the PC and PSU?
Please describe.

If you want to jump to conclusions, I'll leave you to it.

Please describe.

Ha Ha

This reminds me of ME back when I dealt with the public.

Please describe.

Hey woah. No need to make this personal dude. I was just giving a very abbreviated answer to the test procedures that were listed.

Yes, I shorted the connection on the motherboard. No response. I removed everything except the CPU from the motherboard. No response. Jumped the PSU to test it separately. Powered up and worked fine. Swapped out another PSU from a buddy of mine that had a more powerful spare. Connected it to motherboard with nothing in it except cpu No response. I swapped out cpus. No response. All the other components work on other computers without an issue.

All directions point to the motherboard being the issue. It's an asus P5Q Deluxe. No point in replacing it I don't think, but my only issue now is if I upgrade with the current windows 7 install I had on it to a newer motherboard, if it will not boot into windows 7 and update to the new motherboard or if I will have to reinstall everything. which will not be fun.

have you tried putting another CPU into the MB and trying to boot with that? Sometimes the CPU can also just die without warning.

have you tried putting another CPU into the MB and trying to boot with that? Sometimes the CPU can also just die without warning.

Yeah, as I noted above, I swapped out the cpu and it was still a no go. I really don't know what happened to the motherboard. I need to pull it and see, but I'm already in the process of building something else, so i don't much care that much anymore. The only thing I care about is being able to take the harddrive associated with this build and being able to boot it up with this newer build and hopefully get it working. I just do not want to consider doing a complete reinstall again.

Back