TX850 can't power an 5870 and a 5970?

gjs278

Gawd
I have an asus 5870 and 5970. on their own, each card posts fine. together, I get no video on either card. one time I got video on the 5870, and it was garbled as shit and then immediately crashed as soon as it went to load the windows desktop. linux the same problem, I start X and I get a kernel panic. I've tried it with and without the crossfire cable and that didn't help either.

I've tried flipping slots, cords, basically everything. is there something obvious I'm missing for my board (p6x58d-e) or is my power supply just not good enough?

There should definitely be enough power, there's probably other issues causing the crashes, but it's not lack of power.

What are the other variables in your system?

If you really suspect it to be a power issue, do you have some secondary hard drives that you could temporarily unplug? Do you have an overclocked CPU that you could temporarily revert back to stock?

I doubt your power supply would be an issue, since those cards would not be pulling anywhere near max power during bootup. I think your problem lies in your motherboard, do you have another system you can test them out on?

I'll try taking out the hds and putting my cpu back to stock. I think its my mobo as well, is there anything special I need to do for two cards? all 3 of my pci express slots are taken because i have a raid card as well so I'll try taking that out as well.

do I need to have them crossfired to boot? I've tried with and without but it didn't seem to have any effect. unfortunately I don't have another board to test.

for what its worth, I also wasn't able to boot with a nvidia 9600 and a 5870 when I first got it, but I figured that was due to the different brands... guess not.

Last edited:
yep, you guys were right, power supply no issue. it was my raid card fucking things up. my pci slots were going 16x 16x 1x so that completely screwed with my ability to post. I had to reset bios, get a pci-e riser, move the raid card to slot 1 to give it the full 16x, and then both gfx cards will get 8x 8x which is good enough for me.

What model is your motherboard? Sometimes you have to manually set the PCI-E lanes in the bios prior to putting in your cards.

What model is your motherboard? Sometimes you have to manually set the PCI-E lanes in the bios prior to putting in your cards.

it's an asus p6x58d-e. I looked for manually setting my lanes but I couldn't find anything.. had to rearrange my ports.

Back