TX-SR304 for Digital Audio

Wolf-R1

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
2,005
Hey all, I am seriously considering this receiver to do all digital audio from my X-Fi Titanium optical port. I'll be using the DTS Connect to go digital and from a previous thread I am told that it will do all 5.1 channels as desired. Anyone have any real experience with this setup? I can get it cheaper online than I can in a local store however I am seriously considering doing this via local store for the sake of less hassle if I need to return the receiver.

If you do have the experience (even with another receiver) was it worth the expense? I mostly do gaming but want, at the very least, the extra sound clarity that a digital audio signal can produce as well as the extra channel output.
 
Yep. It should work just fine. It is an improvement over any PC surround setup. What speakers though?
 
For most things the dts neo:6 on the receiver will do the same as the dts connect on the card (the receiver will be doing the processing to 5.1 instead of the card). I don't game - or have an x-fi - so i might be missing some advantages of doing the 5.1 processing on the card.....

...at least thats my understanding....someone school me of the advantages of the dts:connect on the card that the dts on the receiver cannot do please!
 
Yep. It should work just fine. It is an improvement over any PC surround setup. What speakers though?

At the moment the front two are a pair of old Aiwa tabletop speakers. They produce fairly clear sound but could be replaced soon. The rears are from a from a friends busted no-name HTIB and put out decent sound. The sub I'll still use from an old Creative 2.1 system. It will be analogue but that's alright. From my tests at least with DDL the card will still put through analogue sound while putting out digital. I am assuming this will ring true for DTS. If not then I'll start a hunt for all new speakers.
With that in mind do you have any recommendations for PC speakers? I'm not willing to spend the cash on my PC speaker setup than I did with my home theater. :p

For most things the dts neo:6 on the receiver will do the same as the dts connect on the card (the receiver will be doing the processing to 5.1 instead of the card). I don't game - or have an x-fi - so i might be missing some advantages of doing the 5.1 processing on the card.....

...at least thats my understanding....someone school me of the advantages of the dts:connect on the card that the dts on the receiver cannot do please!

What do you mean the receiver will be doing the processing? To my knowledge the card should process all the sound then package it up for the receiver, throw it down the fiber, and the receiver will decode it and massage it however it sees fit. Correct me if I'm wrong.
 
If I were you I'd test the sound quality difference between analogue and digital as you may prefer analogue.
The reason being that the 304 isnt a high end amp and as such, the DAC in it may not be as good as the DAC on your soundcard.
Nothing to lose, see which you prefer.
 
If I were you I'd test the sound quality difference between analogue and digital as you may prefer analogue.
The reason being that the 304 isnt a high end amp and as such, the DAC in it may not be as good as the DAC on your soundcard.
Nothing to lose, see which you prefer.

Interesting, thanks. I know that the DDL sound that comes out of my JVC sounds far better than what comes direct analogue through the same sources.
 
I've just taken a look at the DAC quality of the 304 and it's not as good as the X-Fi. Further reading makes me wonder if I'm hearing the sound quality right too. I might have to up the ante and get a 506 though I'm not keen on spending the extra cash.
 
I've had similar problems choosing new kit but I always talk myself into spending that bit more if a more expensive model is really highly thought of.
I ended up with the TX-SR875 :)

Whatever you decide to get, read up a ton on readers experiences and the way faults are handled if you get an unfortunate unit.
Also look to see when upcoming models are arriving as there is usually a price drop.
If you are strapped for cash look at second hand units. Be sure to find those models that are known to be reliable.
Theres quite a lot of choice now so you should be able to find something really nice.
 
I've had similar problems choosing new kit but I always talk myself into spending that bit more if a more expensive model is really highly thought of.
I ended up with the TX-SR875 :)

Whatever you decide to get, read up a ton on readers experiences and the way faults are handled if you get an unfortunate unit.
Also look to see when upcoming models are arriving as there is usually a price drop.
If you are strapped for cash look at second hand units. Be sure to find those models that are known to be reliable.
Theres quite a lot of choice now so you should be able to find something really nice.

Thanks. I am assuming you're using the 875 for your HTPC setup or something like it, yes? I've already got a 706 for that and the 304 was supposed to be purely for gaming since the receiver the 706 replaced wouldn't be used for much of anything else. I am giving serious thought to actually getting a 506 online since the cost would be the same as the 304 locally.
 
Yup, I use the 875 for PC, music, gaming, films etc and switch it over to Satellite for watching TV.
 
I've just taken a look at the DAC quality of the 304 and it's not as good as the X-Fi. Further reading makes me wonder if I'm hearing the sound quality right too. I might have to up the ante and get a 506 though I'm not keen on spending the extra cash.
DACs definitely matter, but theres more to it then just DAC..Isolation, power supply, jitter reducing circuitry, and how the DAC chip is implemented. My 1,300 V1800 is using 1.00 DACs..But you wouldn't know it by the sound. Most middle/High end dacs use cheap BB DACS..Only the flagship models get the 'good stuff.' Even though the newest and best BB DACs can be found in 300.00 external DACs, but 2 channel stereo only.. I prefer analogue/stereo.. People don't know how great analogue/stereo can sound. It's just, when people think of stereo, they think of old technology. 5.1 is new technology, and digital to boot.. Hell, CDs aren't even better then Vinyl, with most audio purist..
CD over compression kills the dynamics, and the songs become noise, Metalicas new CD is a good ie of that. The harshness, clipping, digital grunge, sterile sound of CDs is one reason that vinyl is making a little comeback..I hate records, but prefer the analogue sound.
 
Back
Top