Tx rate on WRT54GL with DD-WRT

LOLANG

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

Here is the situation. I have the above mentioned router in my brother's bedroom, my computer uses the Edimax EW-7128g with a 5Dbi external antenna, there is about 100 ft and 2 walls (non-brick) between us. The wireless Tx rate constantly drops to 5-5.5Mbps no matter the settings, channel, etc... There are a lot of wireless networks in my area, but even channel 1 which is pretty much unused will yield the same result. If I go in and change settings in the router the rate will increase for a while, then it will drop again. At this point I am not sure what to do: either buy a better router, looking at a Buffalo, or a Netgear N, or just drill a hole through the wall to connect a Cat5 to the router.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Hmm. If there is a 802.11b device in the area and it attaches to your router, it will drop it down to 802.11b speeds (which is about 5.5Mbps). 802.11b is the lowest common denominator and doesn't play well with 802.11g. Try disabling 802.11b completely in your router.

SSID is disabled and only g is enabled, though for some reason I want to say my adapter stated it was 802.11b/g mix?

Back