Two Windows XP Pro Questions from a noob.

aadosx

Limp Gawd
Hey guys I have a couple questions.

1) How can I change the Administrator password, since it is blank default?

2) I was messing around with file sharing and at one point came accross some properties for "John" (John is my user name). Here it let me make files private or share files, etc. It was the same looking window as it would be if I looked at sharing properties for, let say, My Documents... but instead of it saying "My Documents Properties" it said "John Properties." I found it while I was trying to share a folder, but it wouldn't let me. At the bottom of that folders share properties it said that I couldn't share the folder because another folder that the folder was in wouldn't allow sharing. I clicked the link there and it took me to "John" properties, but then I unchecked the box that said "make this folder private." How can I get back to these properties so that I can make all of my files private again?

THANKS!
-John

1. Go to Start -> Run and type in (without quotes) "compmgmt.msc" and press enter. Now you'll go under System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> Right click on Administrator and select Set Password. You can also disable here if you'd like.

2. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040 Basically you'll select your User name (which will be in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName) with a Right click, select Sharing and Security, and then check the box to make the folder Private

You might want to rename the administrator account by going to control panel/administrative tools/local security policy. Or start/run secpol.msc

aadosx said:
1) How can I change the Administrator password, since it is blank default?
It's not blank by default. If you installed XP on this system, you should have given it one during the install. If someone else set it up, don't let them anywhere near your computer again. A blank admin password is asking for trouble.

Back