• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

two thumbs up for x800xl

steveng

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 8, 2004
Messages
145
I just assembled a new system with landparty ultra d, x800xl, 1gig ram, and amd 64 3200+. The computer is wicked fast and quiet, especially with the Antec SLK3700bqe. Haven't had a chance to do some ocings, but will do after all the parts are testest. for those you are in the market for a new video card, get x800xl. it is the best bang for the buck
 
what is are your 3d mark score, as i have the smae system and was in the market for a new gfx card, which will prolly be x800xl, and would liketo know what to expect.
 
sounds like you have almost the exact same setup as I do. 'cept my case is the SLK3700AMB (BQE has larger holes in the stamped fan grills and the hdd cage rotated. I simply cut the stamped grills out and don't care about the hdd's).

It is a nice setup. And the Ultra-D overclocks VERY well and is extremely stable while doing so. ;)
 
did you have problem with the rams and the mobo? I had compatibility problem and when i tried to install Windows XP, it kept failing. Then i updated the BIOS and now they seem get along well. did you OC it trhough the BIOS or a third party program? is ur x800xl oced?
 
for the ram, I started with some Geil Ultra-Plat PC4000 with Hynix chips. Apparently the DFI and Hynix don't play nice together. So I swapped them out for some Samsung OEM modules that were PC2100 and was able to get them to run stable at PC3200 2.5-3-3-6 1T (my geil would run faster 1:1 with same timings, but 2T and it was only 512mb).

overall...I'd say no problems with the ram. Just use slots 2 & 4 like DFI suggests, and yes, the newer bios' help with memory compatability.

I overclocked via Bios. Probably rebooted this thing about 500 times in the past couple weeks just trying stuff. I hate OC'ing in windows.

my x800xl is not oc'd at the moment. It runs things fine for now. I did oc it to see how far it would go, and got to 440/570. However, with the stock cooler being a turd I'm gonna wait to oc it regularly until I upgrade to an ATI Silencer 5. I didn't run any benchmarks like 3dmark or anything. I could care less about them. If it plays my games at the res and details I want, then that's all I need to know :p

also, if you plan on using the 4v jumper to feed up to 4v to your ram...you'd better actively cool that portion of your mb. It literally gets hot enough to burn your finger.

If you're having any problems with the board, the DFI forums and XtremeSystems.org are extremely helpful with them. It's a VERY popular board over at xtreme, so you shouldn't have any problems finding an answer there.
 
I have that board too. But a few problems.

First, my first PCI-E slot isn't working, so I'm using the second.
Second, my First gigabit lan isn't working (I was hotplugging the RJ45's and it crapped out) so I'm using the second one.

I'm glad that there's 2 of each on here. It works, but if they're fried, I think that I want a replacement. I don't know though.
 
Alright then, I'm not going to worry about it, it runs great now. I can't wait for the AS5 to burn in and get this thing up to a 3500+, then with H20, I'll pull it up to a 3800+. A solid 200 mhz then another 200mhz OC, for 400mhz, shouldn't be too hard on this. Just use the ram-dividers and such.
 
Good to here. I'm about two weeks away from switching my 6600gt in for a X800XL. Can't wait to see what it's like to have 16 pipes :)
 
Project_2501 said:
I have that board too. But a few problems.

First, my first PCI-E slot isn't working, so I'm using the second.
Second, my First gigabit lan isn't working (I was hotplugging the RJ45's and it crapped out) so I'm using the second one.

I'm glad that there's 2 of each on here. It works, but if they're fried, I think that I want a replacement. I don't know though.


If I were you, I'd RMA it. There's just no excuse that you should have to live with a board where the first PCI-E slot and a LAN connection don't work. They may even cross ship one, not sure. Try asking RGone or Angry Games on the DFI forums.
 
I oced the x800xl sucka last night. I can't believe how cool it was running. even after hours of gaming the GPU temp never went over 60 degree. Im at (432/542)
 
i also ahve almost the same setup, but 3500+ and OCZ pc3700 gold rev3 ... cheaped out on the video card though ... 6600gt :p
 
nst6563 said:
If I were you, I'd RMA it. There's just no excuse that you should have to live with a board where the first PCI-E slot and a LAN connection don't work. They may even cross ship one, not sure. Try asking RGone or Angry Games on the DFI forums.

Well, I don't really know, and don't care too much. :( The first PCI-e slot would cause the silicon on the bottom of the X800XL to tap the Northbridge fan. And the LAN piece, that I think will be cured with a reinstall in WinXP Pro. Hot-Swapping RJ-45s in a no - no.
 
check the end of your video card. there should be just enough clearence there for a sheet or two of paper (talk about cutting it close). If it hits, you can simply file down the side of the card where those break-off points are since that's probably what is hitting the nb fan. Sometimes those break-offs don't exactly break off as cleanly as we'd like :p

Hot-swapping LAN jacks shouldn't be an issue. I've done it a LOT for years and have never had a LAN card go bad because of it.
 
Back
Top