Two separate RAID 1s?

Joined
Sep 15, 2007
Messages
45
After having 3 hard drives fail on me within two weeks, I decided that I should have some sort of RAID 1 setup to protect my data. I bought two 160gb SATA2 drives for Windows, etc. and I have an existing 120gb PATA hard drive. Can I:
1. Set up a RAID 1 configuration for the two 160gb drives
2. Buy another 250gb (or similar sized) hard drive, partition it into 120gb and 130gb partitions
3. Configure my existing 120gb hard drive and the 120gb partition in RAID 1
4. Have the other 130gb partition for other data that doesn't need to be backed up?

Thanks for the help.
 
1 yes
3 depends on os or raid controller, cheap onboard raid can't do raid on just part of the drive, you can do raid on partitions if you use some dedicated raid card or *nix os.
 
I'm actually having a different dilemma now... I still have the two 160gb hard drives, but I have an additional 320gb hard drive. My new laptop will be arriving soon, and it also has a 320gb hard drive. I'd like to purchase a 640gb hard drive to back up the two 320gb hard drives, but is it possible? I also have an external enclosure if that would make it possible (but the 640gb hard drive I'm looking at isn't IDE like my enclosure). Thanks!
 
yes you can backup your two 320's to a 640gb drive. you will need to get a new enclosure.
 
Depends on your controller, some decent controllers you can create dozens of arrays.
 
Back
Top