Two routers, and one switch, having problems.. need advice..

jtetterton

n00b
I need some advice on my network setup.. here is what I have.

Cable Modem --> Linksys BEFSR11 (192.168.1.1) --> Kingston KNE8TP/WG 8 port hub --> ports 1-6 to computers, port 7 to --> Belkin 54g F5D7230-4 (192.168.1.2)--> wireless laptop and several wirless desktop PCs...

The problem that I'm having is the connection between the Kingston Hub and the Belkin router.. I cannot get them to talk.. The Belkin DOES have auto-negotiating ports and I don't think the Kingston Switch does. I've tried the connection from lan port to lan port with a straight through and a crossover and can't seem to get it to work.. I've set the "Use as an access point" feature on the the belkin which disables DHCP and NAT and I set the belkin IP to 192.168.1.2.. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks

Jason

Just to clarify, are you connecting the LAN port from the Linksys to the WAN port of the Belkin, or LAN port of the Linksys to LAN port of the Belkin? Also, what is the addressing scheme of the Belkin (LAN IP and WAN IP)?

Secondly, are you getting link lights on the Hub when the Belkin is plugged in?

Connecting the only port (1 port linksys) to a LAN port on the Kingston, and from a LAN port straight through to a LAN port on the Belkin... I DO get link lights on the Kingston Switch when connected either straight through or crossover... The belkin is in access point mode and I set the IP manually to 192.168.1.2..

With this same router, I have successfully connected it in this pattern, Cable Modem --> Linksys BEFSR41 --> Belkin 54g with a straight through cable and the belkin in access point mode... it works like this at my house.. but not at the location of the LAN i'm setting up.. I think it has something to do with that 8 port switch...

I tried to be clear here, but if it is still confusing let me know and I'll try again :)

Thanks

Back