Two router dhcp servers - help configuring access?

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

I have two routers on my home network. Router number one is a r7000 running DDWRT directly connected to the Internet modem. Router number two is a n66U running tomato usb and a custom cups AirPrint server connected to router number one through its wan port. Router number one dhcp configs 192.168.100-199 and router number two configs dhcp 192.168.200-250. Problem is when I connect to router number two wirelessly I can see the print server no problem, just not when connected to router number one. Should I open up ports or forward anything?

Thanks.

Did you disable NAT and bridge the WAN to LAN ports?

With Tomato you should be able to disable NAT and DHCP and bridge the WAN and LAN ports.

If you cant do that, just disable DHCP and instead of using the WAN port to connect to your r7000 use on of the LAN ports.

Basically you want to disable the 2nd router from being a router, instead in your case you only want to use the switching and wireless AP functionality of it.

At first I tried to disable dhcp and bridge wan to lan, and I had Internet through the second router but my Optware wasn't installing correctly until it was in dhcp mode. Now that's over I'm willing to try disabling nat. What do you think?

At first I tried to disable dhcp and bridge wan to lan, and I had Internet through the second router but my Optware wasn't installing correctly until it was in dhcp mode. Now that's over I'm willing to try disabling nat. What do you think?

The NAT is your main issue. Yes you could have 2 DHCP scopes like you said (its not really needed though) but the NAT is actually whats messing you up. I would disable it and go from there.

just set up the second router as an access point, disable dhcp on it and connect them lan to lan.
easy......

Back