Two Raptor set up

Limp Gawd
The last few builds I've put my drives in Raid 0. I thought I'd try something new with my latest setup. I put my os (xp pro) on a small 15 gig partition on one Raptor. I'm loading everything else on the other Raptor with another small partition. So far, I am very pleased with this setup. I do have some questions though.
1. How do I get all my os updates to install on the proper drive? There is never an option where to put the updates while installing.
2. The same is true when installing other things. An option of where to install isn't always given. How do I keep only my os and update on the one drive/partition and everything else on the other?

The two Raptors are 150's. I plan on using the rest of one of the drives for my music. Would it be better to use the os drive for this or the application drive.

Last, I'm getting ready to order vista 64 to utilize 4 gigs of memory. So, I'll be basically be starting over fresh. Is there some better way I could be doing this to keep my system feeling snappy. So far, I see no real world differences between the two drives in Raid 0 and the way I have it now. Should I be doing, or not doing something that might make this setup feel even snappier?

I'm not trying to start another debate over which setup performs the best. I think I'm gonna use this setup for a while. I just want input on making it as efficient and quick responding/feeling as possible.

Do you have a third large for storage? If you don't notice a difference in what you do between RAID0 and a single drive then you could even sell a Raptor and pick up a 500GB drive for music, etc.

That would keep OS and all applications on one Raptor for its snappier speeds and everything else that doesn't need as much speed on a large drive.

If this damn motherboard I'm using would have worked with one of my old Raptors then I would have done 1 Raptor for OS/Apps and 1 storage drive.

I also have 2 500 gb drives for my larger storage needs. I am just looking to get things set up as efficient as posible. I would like to utilize the rest of the storeage on the Raptors. I figured music would be a good option. This set up will be my everyday computer as well as my whole house media server.

If you reall insist on raid, than put ALL OS, applications, software, drivers, etc on the raptors and use the other 2 500gb hard drives for whatever stuff you need or want to keep. That way if you loose your C drive with OS--> thats all you loose.

Your system files should install in the right directories, as for applications and games, you may have to show it where to instal.. all installations will give you the option to which target drive you wish to install to.

I have dropped the raid 0 and I am using the drives independently. Os on one drive, apps on the other. So far I am very pleased with this setup. Everyday use seems just a fast as the raid setup. However, I feel like there is something more I should be doing to keep the proper updates on the proper drives. I have also noticed that I do not always have and option of where to install apps every time. I would like to keep the os and apps isolated from each other.

Back