• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

two raid arrays on the same system?

mukow

n00b
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
49
I am building a system and the setup went alright except for one thing. The OS is on two 80 sata drives in raid 1 using the onboard raid (msi k8n neo4 sli plat. nv raid). Then for storage I have 4 160 gig sata drives on a promise fastrack 4100 in raid 5. The only problem is, I can't get both raid cards to play nicely with another. If I let the Promise card load, it won't let the nv raid load, and to load the nv raid I have to skip the promise card. I talked to Promise and they said it was an IRQ issue, that the promise card recieved a higher priority and loaded first. I have tried all the available pci slots (all three) with no different results. Anyone here have any suggestions on how I can have both raid arrays load so i can have the OS on raid 1 and a drive for data storage on raid 5? Full system specs:MSI k8n Neo4 SLI plat, amd 64 x2 4400+ (dual core), 4 gigs (4X1 gig) ddr400, evga geforce 7800 gtx, 2 wd 80 gig sata, 4 samsung 160 gb sata, promise fast track 4100 raid controller, sony 16x dvd-rw, sony 16x dvd-rom, floppy, antec 550w true 2.0 power supply, generic server style case.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks
 
I actually have a card on the way. Hopefully the new card won't be disabled from the promise card. If so, then I guess the operating system will have to go on the Raid 5 and I just won't worry about the other drives. (I'm building this computer for someone else and it is his specifications, i would have just done the raid 5 and called it good myself).
 
Back
Top