Two quick 2405FPW questions

oguessous

Weaksauce
Hi,
I plan to purchase Dell's 2405FPW, and it seems that my Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 with 256MB won't be compatible. I don't use my PC for gaming. Rather, I mainly use it for work (Word, Excel, stats, web), DVD's, and some photo editing. Any recommendations for a graphics card based on this?

Also, how does the monitor look w/ a basic xbox, using the Hi-Def connection pack? Haven't seen much about this on the forums (though quite about about the xbox360 :)

Thanks much ...

Why wouldn't the FX5500 not be compatible? It should run the monitor just fine for everyday Windows use if you don't game.

Not sure about the Xbox though, never connected one.

If your 5500 has DVI and supports 1920x1200 res, it will be fine, or go to newegg and pick up a nice 100 dollar one that has that capility. Off the top of my head the 5500 should be able to use the 1920x1200 res, the only real question is if you have the white dvi port on your card because I do know that some of the 5500 didn't come with dvi.

Dr.Makavelli said:
It should work...if not then get 6600GT for like 120-150

and it plays games very nicely too

I have a 5200 here at work, supports the 1920x1200 res. Yours should, too.

Personally to me, the games on the original Xbox in 480p look like crap. 720p is better (for the games that do support it). Get the 2405 for the workspace, not for you to play Xbox games on.

thanks all. even though i kept trying to explain that the 5500 does support the req. resolution and has a dvi output (though it's not necessary), they wouldn't hear it. obviously, yet another instance of the lack of knowledge & understanding among their sales department! :)

Dr.Makavelli said:
It should work...if not then get 6600GT for like 120-150

and it plays games very nicely too

Makavelli, forgive my ignorance on video cards and the digression: the 5500 FX has more memory than the 6600 GT (256 vs. 128), so shouldn't it be a little more powerful? Or are other factors at play such as the clock speed, etc.? How much of a gap is there between the 2 cards?

I have a 2405, and I would never use the rgb input for everyday use. DVI is the only way to go if you. RGB on the 2405 is very grainy and would put a strain on your eyes. Put I would recommend the 2405 to anyone, it is the best monitor I have ever owned in my 20 years of computing.

Back