two programs to set on default

wayne

2[H]4U
i have two programs i would like to set on default so when it is needed, that one will open instead of a similar one

1) i used to use internet explorer but my friend recommended avant browser so i installed and it worked great but then one day it just stopped working, pages couldnt display in avant browser but works in internet explorer...so now i use IE but everytime i click on a link, it opens up in avant browser and i have to copy and paste the url on a new IE window and this gets annoying...(btw, if you have a solution to getting avant browser to work, let me know)....

when i first installed avant browser, it asked if i would like to set it as the default browser...now i rather have internet browser be the default browser...how do i change the default browser to IE?

2) also one more thing...how do i change my default media player from real player to winamp?...because my new keyboard has those function keys that also controls music playing so i wanted to use it but when i press the play button on my keyboard, real player pops up... how do i change the default media player?

THANKS

Try running "Set Program Access and Defaults" from the start menu, if it isn't there customize you start bar to put it there, that should be able to do it.

Edit, well except setting Winamp as default media player. I don't think it will do that.

Originally posted by IxGOxSOLO
Try running "Set Program Access and Defaults" from the start menu, if it isn't there customize you start bar to put it there, that should be able to do it.

Edit, well except setting Winamp as default media player. I don't think it will do that.
that kinda lost me...what and where is the set program access and defaults?

Well, I can't help with the avant thing. But in IE: Tools->Internet Options and then the programs tab. Down near the bottom is a check box with something like IE should check if it is the default browser. Check that and it should pop up a dialog the next time you start IE to ask if you want it to be the default browser. (this is IE 6 BTW)

Originally posted by wayne
that kinda lost me...what and where is the set program access and defaults?

Are you running windows XP? If so, there should be a shortcut on your start menu titled "Set program and access and defaults". If not, then right click your taskbar, select properties, click the start menu tab, then hit the customize button next to start menu (not classic, it isn't listed there) and put a check in the box next to "Set Program Access and Defaults". The options are very limited but you can at least select the default browser, they have media player too, but they don't include winamp, just a couple of players like quicktime and stuff that are installed on your computer.

Originally posted by IxGOxSOLO
Are you running windows XP? If so, there should be a shortcut on your start menu titled "Set program and access and defaults". If not, then right click your taskbar, select properties, click the start menu tab, then hit the customize button next to start menu (not classic, it isn't listed there) and put a check in the box next to "Set Program Access and Defaults". The options are very limited but you can at least select the default browser, they have media player too, but they don't include winamp, just a couple of players like quicktime and stuff that are installed on your computer.
i dont have set program access and defaults...i either dont have it or i cannot find it but i ve looked everywhere where you told me to, nowhere to be found, i think

It is added when you download the security updates. Are you all patched up?

Brent

Originally posted by brent_anderson
It is added when you download the security updates. Are you all patched up?

Brent

That is true, i forgot to mention that, there will be a windows update regarding et program Access and Defaults, look for it and install it if you want.

Back