Two Program Files folders when doing "workaround"

When I did the Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade workaround (64 bit), I end up getting the Windows.old folder, which I can easily delete. BUT, I also get TWO sets of Programs Files folders, one with an x86 after it. I can not figure out how (or if I should) to delete them. Has anyone else experienced this and what should I do?

No, this isn't a glitch.

The 64 bit versions of Vista have two Program Files directories, it's perfectly normal.

Program Files = 64 bit software program files

Program Files (x86) = 32 bit software program files

They can't reside in the same directory, so... you have seperate Program Files directories, one for the 32 bit stuff, one for the 64 bit stuff.

'Nuff typed.

I'm somewhat confused now. I am new to using 64bit, but I thought that a 64bit OS could not run 32bit software. So what use would that be for?

Of course 64bit Windows can run 32 bit software.....why did you think it cannot?

It just doesn't run it in 64bit mode but in a 32bit emulation mode.

Boy have you got a lot to learn about 64 bit computing. :)

You can run 32 bit software just fine under Vista 64 bit versions. There is a tiny tiny performance hit because of how Vista (and most any 64 bit OS will have this performance hit) because the processor needs to be working in either 64 bit mode or 32 bit mode in any given moment - so switching back and forth will have a small penalty.

People will complain about that overly simplistic explanation (and even say it's technically inaccurate to some degree) but whatever.

32 bit software works great under Vista 64 bit versions. You more than likely won't notice anything unusual and all your old software should work just fine. Games are a bit underperforming presently but that's more because of crappy drivers at this point and not Vista itself.

its 32bit drivers that you will have a problem with you need the 64bit version of you sound card, video card, ect. , not software, i think that is your confusion

its 32bit drivers that you will have a problem with you need the 64bit version of you sound card, video card, ect. , not software, i think that is your confusion

Correctamundo, sorry I didn't think to clarify that.

Vista 64 bit versions require 64 bit drivers for the hardware - 32 bit drivers do not work at all and will not install so that's where a lot of the complaints about Vista and 64 bit versions is coming from. Not only that, but the 64 bit drivers must be digitally signed by Microsoft too. There's a workaround for this, of course, but that's more trouble than it's worth, but it's there if needed.

Hope that helps, and thanks for popping in with that, Dethman...

Back