Two PC's Networked?

torvalds

Limp Gawd
I want to connect two computers to exchange data between them. I have built in LAN ports on both motherboards. I also have a cat5 cable that plugs into each port on the motherboards. Is this all I need to sucessfully have these two pc's networked together? If so how do I do it? if not what else do I need?

Dammit my cable isnt a crossover one. I'll go see if I can find one somewhere.

Ok, got a cross over cable. I cant transfer files from the host pc to the other one. If I go to network connections and click on "view workgroup computers" I can see the other computer but when I doudle click on it it says "computer is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the network to find out if you have access persmissions." However, I was playiong quake through them and the lan worked fine for that.

Why cant I access the other computer? How can I transfer files from the host computer?

You need to specify that the HDs and other resources you are trying to access are marked for 'Shared'. Right click on the HD icon in My Computer and choose 'Shared' as well as any other things you want to use, like the printers, etc.

hmmm how long is it supposed to take to set the folder permissions? Its been doing it for nearly an hour now.

Depends on the computer's speed and how much stuff you've got on there. It took no more than 10min for me.

shouldnt he :
1. specify ip addresses for both lets say
10.5.106.2 for the first computer
10.5.106.3 for the second computer
with subnet mask being 255.255.255.0 for both

2. have crossover cable
3. make sure proper protocols are installed
4. then map the drives you want(allow sharing access)

1. that was already done for me, I can play quake over the two pc's.
2. have one
3. eh?
4. done one drive sucessfully, other one wont finish. I always get the feeling windows has made a boob when something takes so long so I rebooted and now im getting an error when I try to share the drive, though it continues to set the folder permissions anyway.

The error im getting is "An error occurred while trying to share Drive C. The server service is not started. The shared resourse was not created at this time."

Ok it was my lan connection, it wasnt starting quick enough, so I was effectively making the drive do its sharing thing when it was ready. Anyway, I have all drives set up for sharing now but im still getting the same error that I was at the start. Any other ideas?

Can you go to your LAN properties and tell us what protocols you have installed; IE TCP/IP, etc.

I have....

Client for microsoft networks.
File and printer sharing for microsoft networks.
QoS packet sheduler
Internet Protocol tcp/ip

If I ping the second pc from the host pc I get a result, but if I ping the host pc from the second pc then I get 100% packet loss and request time out.

Back