• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Two options.What to choose?

Matas

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 16, 2006
Messages
438
I have 1xSamsung HD160JJ(SataII/7200rpm/8mb). About for 50$ I can get WD Raptor 360GD, but maybe the better choise would be to get second Samsung HD160JJ(for ~80) and put them in Raid 0?
I don't know if 2xSamsung HD160JJ in raid 0 would be spinning faster than 1xRaptor 360GD...?
 
Option 3: Get a 74GB Raptor instead. The 36's aren't really that great, but a 74 would give better performance than the Samsung's in raid 0.

If you don't wand to spend extra for the 74, just get the samsung so you have the added capacity.
 
WD Raptor 740GD is too expensive for me. I'm thinking only about these two options. I just want to know if 2xSamsungs in Raid 0 would bring me better performance than 1xRaptor 360GD.
 
Matas said:
WD Raptor 740GD is too expensive for me. I'm thinking only about these two options. I just want to know if 2xSamsungs in Raid 0 would bring me better performance than 1xRaptor 360GD.
It really depends on what you are doing with them. If you are a desktop user who games then the would be very little benefit from putting those drives in raid 0, in fact, you would double your chances of losing all the data on both drives.

Not recommended.
 
10K is not automatically fast. RAID-0 is not automatically fast.

http://www.storagereview.com/php/be...&numDrives=1&devID_0=266&devID_1=249&devCnt=2

As a matter of fact, the drive you've got now is faster in productivity than the 36GB Raptor. The WD360GD has a slight edge in games, but the Samsung runs cooler, quieter, and has four times the capacity for about the same price.

It's in the Buyer's Guide, and has already been posted in this thread, but I'll say it again. The WD360GD is a very poor value in a drive. The worst value of any ATA drive.
 
I don't care about synthetic tests.The main thing is that I want better loading/files copy times. So, Samsungs in Raid 0 or Raptor 360GD will do this job better?
 
File copies? The absolute fastest way to do that would be to copy between two independent drives. The WD360GD offers about the same transfer performance as the Samsung drive you have now.

Load times? WD740GD/AD. The 360 is a joke. The 740 is at least 20% faster than the 360, usually more like 40% faster.

What would I do? Pick up another Samsung drive, and set it up as a separate data drive from what you have now.
 
Go ahead and buy a 360 then. You'll be l33t, because you'll have a 10K drive :rolleyes:

Heck, a WD2500KS beats out the WD360GD in all of SR's single user tests, offers better transfer performance, and has seven times the capacity, for $20 less than the WD360GD on ZZF right now ($83 for WD2500KS, $105 for WD360GD)
 
Matas said:
I don't care about synthetic tests.The main thing is that I want better loading/files copy times. So, Samsungs in Raid 0 or Raptor 360GD will do this job better?

RAID 0 is not a single solution for one Raptor. As stated above, both are fast at CERTAIN things (sequential read/writes vs. random read/writes). Synthentic or not, this usually translates into faster loading times in games, etc. etc. The question after that is, Will you notice a difference? Probably not.

I myself would go for another spinpoint, but I would NOT use it for RAID 0. I would either mirror the drive, or use on for OS/Software/Games, and one for storage and swap file.
 
DougLite said:
Go ahead and buy a 360 then. You'll be l33t, because you'll have a 10K drive :rolleyes:

Heck, a WD2500KS beats out the WD360GD in all of SR's single user tests, offers better transfer performance, and has seven times the capacity, for $20 less than the WD360GD on ZZF right now ($83 for WD2500KS, $105 for WD360GD)

I can get Raptor 360GD only for 45$.
 
RAID 0 is not a single solution for one Raptor. As stated above, both are fast at CERTAIN things (sequential read/writes vs. random read/writes). Synthentic or not, this usually translates into faster loading times in games, etc. etc. The question after that is, Will you notice a difference? Probably not.

I myself would go for another spinpoint, but I would NOT use it for RAID 0. I would either mirror the drive, or use on for OS/Software/Games, and one for storage and swap file.[/QUOTE]


Why? I see you himself are using Raid 0... Could you report what differences you felt comparing your 1xMaxtor vs 2xMaxtors in Raid 0?
 
Rocco123 said:
Which generation is it? Is it used? The older 36GB raptors sucked hard.

Yes, it was used. It has 8Mb buffer, so I think it is older generation Raptor, because the newest ones have 16Mb.
 
Why? I see you himself are using Raid 0... Could you report what differences you felt comparing your 1xMaxtor vs 2xMaxtors in Raid 0.

I'm actually glad you noticed that. I've used RAID on and off for the past couple years, and I'm using RAID 0 right now.

I can say from experience that RAID 0 is not really worth it. It's sometimes complicated to set up, and sucks really bad when something happens with the array. I'm actually going to reconfigure them over the holiday weekend to either a RAID 1 or just use both drives separately. In short, it's not worth it for the very small performance increase.
 
Rocco123 said:
I'm actually glad you noticed that. I've used RAID on and off for the past couple years, and I'm using RAID 0 right now.

I can say from experience that RAID 0 is not really worth it. It's sometimes complicated to set up, and sucks really bad when something happens with the array. I'm actually going to reconfigure them over the holiday weekend to either a RAID 1 or just use both drives separately. In short, it's not worth it for the very small performance increase.

In loading times raid 0 does also very small performace increase?
 
Matas said:
In loading times raid 0 does also very small performace increase?

If you ask me, yes only a small performance increase. Other will tell you it's like night and day.
 
Matas said:
In loading times raid 0 does also very small performace increase?
it depends on how your application accesses the data. there have been lots of threads with people debating this point. Since I do not know how most applications access your harddrive, it is virtually impossible to make a definite statement. Frankly, your game may or may not load faster. If you game uses Windows files AND your game files, there is a good chance that two independent drives with the game not sharing a drive with windows can improve load times.

however, one of the few ways to make sure that your games load faster is a raptor that is not the crippeld, 1st gen 36GB drive.
 
That Raptor 360GD have been used even about 4 years. It hasn't bad sectors, but don't you think what there is a big risk buying it?
 
Back
Top