Two New Halo 2 Maps

Jerome36

2[H]4U
I'm not sure how many people still play Halo 2 here, but April 17th Bungie is releasing two new maps, which are remakes of two maps from the original Halo game. They have new names, but they are Hang ’Em High (my personal favorite from the original game), and Derelict. Details below, straight from bungie.net:

It's true! here's the digest version: Two new maps, both available on April 17th through the Halo 2 downloader in the game itself, and it's just $4 for the pair.The maps ar Tombstone and Desolation - remakes of Hang 'Em High and Derelict, respectively.

Go look at 'em right now: New Halo 2 Map Shots!

It's an original Xbox download, so there's no way to use MS points - and you WILL need an Xbox Live Gold account to download and play, since the original Xbox (even in BC mode) can't tell the difference between gold and silver. But you CAN use these on 360, just so we're clear. You just need to use a credit card for the purchase, instead of marketplace points. We'll have LOTS more info in the update later today, and in the meantime, here's the full text of the press release:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HALO 2 MULTIPLAYER MAPS REVEALED

Microsoft Game Studios and Bungie Studios today confirmed the upcoming release of two new, eagerly awaited downloadable maps for “Halo® 2.” The maps will be available as premium downloadable content for Xbox® and Xbox 360™ on April 17.
Fans of the original “Halo” have long requested the addition of some of their favorite maps to the critically acclaimed multiplayer experience of “Halo 2.” These re-creations, developed by Bungie and Certain Affinity Inc., are a perfect way to thank fans for their support as they surpass 800 million hours of “Halo 2” gaming on Xbox LIVE®.

The two maps will bring new life to ancient battlefields and legendary skirmishes, as both are new, improved and redesigned remakes of fan favorites from the original “Halo: Combat Evolved.” For the price of $4 for the pair, these maps bring a fresh burst of action to the seminal “Halo 2” online multiplayer experience. Both of the maps will be available through the “Halo 2” in-game content downloader for both Xbox and Xbox 360.*

The king of “Halo” maps has returned at last. Hang ’Em High, arguably the most popular multiplayer map for the original title, has been reimagined for “Halo 2” as Tombstone, with all-new graphics, features and a few hidden surprises. Now fans will enjoy the dangerous catwalks and trenches that made this the most requested “Halo” multiplayer map ever, with a modernized “Halo 2” flavor.

The second map, Desolation, is a symmetrical, Deathmatch-oriented map and a beautiful remake of the original Derelict. With new graphics and effects and a massive gameplay overhaul, the old favorite is now faster-paced and more balanced than ever — perfect for intense “Halo 2” combat.

It's an original Xbox download, so there's no way to use MS points - and you WILL need an Xbox Live Gold account to download and play, since the original Xbox (even in BC mode) can't tell the difference between gold and silver. But you CAN use these on 360, just so we're clear. You just need to use a credit card for the purchase, instead of marketplace points

Someone clarify this for me. So, you have to fire up Halo 2, go into BC mode, and enter your credit card number in-game? This works even without the gold account?

Someone clarify this for me. So, you have to fire up Halo 2, go into BC mode, and enter your credit card number in-game? This works even without the gold account?

You NEED to have a gold account. During the days of the original Xbox there was no gold or silver Live accounts. Basically all there was was gold, since everybody who had Live was paying for it (or entered in a subscription card). So, if you don't have a gold account for the 360 you're SOL. I'm sure if you have a trial subscritption (say one free month), you'll be able to put in Halo 2, go to the "Content Download" section, and then pick the download. You'll have to use a credit card to pay for it, since the original Xbox and Live didn't have MS Marketplace points.

I'm still debating if I should get it or not. Tombstone would be sweet, because Hang Em High was my favorite map on the original Halo game. We'll see.

I'm in, if anything, just for shits and grins. Can't wait to play some H2 with the friends again.

I really like the way that Bungie has re-textured these old maps. They did a great job with Wizard, and Hang 'Em High especially looks very cool.

Its only $4 and its good practice to get back into the swing of things for Halo 3.

Well I guess the maps are out now. Who downloaded them? I'm thinking I actually will, but I haven't yet, because I've been working.

For anybody who has downloaded them, how are they? I'm hoping Tombstone recreates Hang Em High quite well, because that's the map I've been waiting for on Halo 2.

The maps are pretty fun. A few new doors/rooms in hang em high that I think are pretty cool. One thing though... I think they are much bigger maps than Halo 1.

I haven't bought them yet either. At the beginning of the year my roommate set his Xbox up first, so mine is at home, as I play on his. I don't want to buy them and have them tied to his box. :(

Tombstone looks sweet though, I want

I downloaded them last night, and did a quick walk through on both, by myself. They seem pretty good, though I'm not sure if I like Tombstone over the original Hang Em High. I'll reserve final judgement after I start getting some playing time in on it, against actual people. It received quite a few changes, though I do like the addition of those explosive crate things. That can always add a little fun when chasing down somebody.

Back