Two More iPhone 3G Speed Lawsuits

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Apple has its hands full with more iPhone 3G speed lawsuits. According to MacWorld, the latest lawsuits were filed in the United States District Court of the Southern District of Florida and in the United States District Court Eastern District of Texas Sherman Division yesterday.

In addition to claiming insufficient bandwidth of the 3G networks, both lawsuits also say the iPhone 3G has had “well-known and documented issues regarding the premature ‘wear-and-tear’ of the iPhones’ housing, including the formation of hairline cracks in the iPhones’ casing.”

Good grief. I own a iPhone. I'm NOT an apple fan and it's the first apple product I have owned since 1987. It's good at what it's designed for.

Yes, I have a white version (couldn't get black at the time) and it shows some cracks. Yes, it is slower browsing the web than my notebook. But it's a phone, folks. It's going to get beat up and it's going to be slower than a computer. I'm actually happy with it, even if I'm ashamed to pull it out in public for fear of being labeled a fan-boi.

Mine used to drop calls from my room often but that hasnt happened in a while. Ive had edge go faster than 3g sometime though when I use netshare.

well im tired of mine, always freezing, always crashing. If it wasnt for my 2 year contract Id ditch it. Instead, I think Im gonna cash in on my 2 yr replacement plan, get a 3g, and not use 3g, I just want the GPS and google maps, I get lost easy lol

So wait. They are going after Apple who only makes the hardware and not AT&T who runs the network when it comes to 3G speeds?

The case cracks OK... but the complaints about 3G are seriously misdirected.

Also... iPhone is not the first 3G phone. Why did these speed issues not crop up sooner?

3G around here rocks. When I tether to my laptop and run any online speed tests, I get a solid 1.5Mbps down, which is around 200KB/s. Just shy of 200KB/s, actually.

And since you can't edit, I'd like to add - AT&T with a Motorola Q9h, Windows Mobile 6.1 tethered via Bluetooth to my Sony VAIO laptop running Windows 7 Beta X64.

So wait. They are going after Apple who only makes the hardware and not AT&T who runs the network when it comes to 3G speeds?

Also... iPhone is not the first 3G phone. Why did these speed issues not crop up sooner?

I believe the thinking is the speed does not live up to what Apple advertises, thus Apple is running a misleading ad campaign.

Wake-up call for 'Made in China" < "Made in America", at least that was the case when Americans cared about quality.

Correct Apple makes the phone, but if you search up their ADs you will see that they advertised it to be twice as fast. Period. They did not add any disclaimer "where permitted with 3G Network." AT&T only fails for being a lame ass and not rolling out a better network. With all their fees they should be able to blanket 3G. Now Verizon is taking over as the largest in town.

Apple needs to be held accountable for its action like any other company. That is wrong with our country today and the world, accountability. Everyone wants to though blame off on another instead of taking their share.

I feel Apple has always been given a soft hands approach to their errors while others pay costly. When Apple Mobile Me junked up, they did nothing. They don't make amazing products, they make people think they do. Disagree if you want, but that is my 2cents.

I believe the thinking is the speed does not live up to what Apple advertises, thus Apple is running a misleading ad campaign.

Correct, I remember the commercials with "New Iphone 3G" "twice as fast" crap. Yeah, when you have the coverage. A friend of mine bought his in KCity and they told him 3G was in his home city and shouldn't be a worry. I told him he just got taken as because their is no 3G in this area.

...short on time so no grammar/spelling check.

One of the things I do know about AT&T is that they have a 30 day no questions asked money back program. How or why someone buys something, is not happy with it and keeps it to then go out and complain about how much they hate it?

Like it or not, the iPhone is a revolutionary device for the industry, like the Motorola Flip of the early 90's it changed the industry. The user experiece makes anything else out there (windows mobile) look like last decade's OS. All apple did was design a product with a clean slate, they leveraged all of the hardware and software advantages they had and obviously succeeded in producing an industry changing device.

I have an iPhone that I like, even though there are still a bunch of things that could be better to WAY better on the device. I have a Bold that I use as my primary device for business and I think they're both solid devices. I just don't understand the law suits in this case. Or perhaps I do understand the lawsuits, it's called living in America.

It's not the network, its simply that Apple (and I admit other vendors do this) try to make you think the browsing experience on a phone matches that of a desktop/laptop. That's simply rubish.

What I dont get is why aren't there any lawsuits about the iPhone's HSDPA support? It's NOT THERE! Apple.com shows it supports HSDPA but AT&T have capped the BW so you wont ever see HSDPA speeds!

That's false advertising right there!

well im tired of mine, always freezing, always crashing. If it wasnt for my 2 year contract Id ditch it. Instead, I think Im gonna cash in on my 2 yr replacement plan, get a 3g, and not use 3g, I just want the GPS and google maps, I get lost easy lol

lol.....:D

whoa, another piece of apple hardware built with sub-par product quality. HOLY SURPRISE BATMAN!!

If you can sue someone just because their product is poorly, cheaply made, then just taking a look around my house at a few products I have, which have not lived up to expectation, leads me to believe I will be needing a team of lawyers.

IMO, this is just a bunch of iTools who are pissed off they weren't smart enough to realize the iPhone was a POS BEFORE they bought it.

Back