Two Monitors, Two Games?

Xiode

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 23, 2004
Messages
164
Currently, I have a 1900XTX powering two monitors via dual-DVI: a Dell 1905FP and a "15 LCD monitor that I've had for a long time. I run World of Warcraft on the big screen and my web browswer or AIM on the other.

However, here's my question: How can I get two different instances of World of Warcraft running on each monitor? Would I need two completely different installations? If I try to do it now by simply dragging a copy of WoW to my other screen, my FPS drops real low, almost like a slideshow. It's not that my computer can't handle it, because I can ALT+TAB back and forth all day and not lag one bit. It would just be nice not to have to.

Anyone?
 
DX9 and below have a single monitor limitation for direct3D IIRC. So the second instance is being rendered in software (aka, CPU). Doesn't effect having two instances on same screen, for obvious reasons. Its still just one screen.

AFAIK, flight sims and others that run multiple screen do it by stretching the resolution among each screen so its a soft one screen. With two game instances open, it doesn't work that way.

This is all from recollection, certainly may be wrong.
 
Xiode said:
Currently, I have a 1900XTX powering two monitors via dual-DVI: a Dell 1905FP and a "15 LCD monitor that I've had for a long time. I run World of Warcraft on the big screen and my web browswer or AIM on the other.

However, here's my question: How can I get two different instances of World of Warcraft running on each monitor? Would I need two completely different installations? If I try to do it now by simply dragging a copy of WoW to my other screen, my FPS drops real low, almost like a slideshow. It's not that my computer can't handle it, because I can ALT+TAB back and forth all day and not lag one bit. It would just be nice not to have to.

Anyone?


there is no way for you to go between the screens with out alt-tab'ing.

when you do alt-tab, does the fps go higher on the second instance?
 
I can make two individual windows by resizing them, as long as I keep them on my big monitor. If I try to drag a window to the other, it immediately becomes a slideshow.

And yes, I can move my cursor back and forth between games without ALT+TABing.
 
Back
Top