Two Lancool K-62 arrive damaged from Newegg

PHiZ

Limp Gawd
I purchased two Lancool K-62 cases from Newegg.com. They were $119.99 a piece, and I got them with a free shipping promotion. When they arrived, I saw that they had been shipped in their retail boxes, and had sustained the ordinary UPS abuse. Upon opening the packages and inspecting the cases I saw that they had each suffered damage in the exact same place. These cases have an acrylic side window which is fastened with hex-headed screws. On the lower part of the acrylic, there are three of these screws, one on each side and one in the middle. The acrylic around the center screw has cracked on each case. This tells me that either the retail packaging is inadequately designed for shipping, and needs to be addressed by Lancool; or that Newegg should take some additional shipping precautions with this product. If this happened to two of the cases that I bought, I expect it will happen to other people as well.

I contacted Newegg, and they said they would see if they had any spare panels in the warehouse. I didn't expect this to be fruitful, as the windows are not sold as separate parts. Newegg responded that the entire cases would have to be RMA'ed. This is unacceptable to me for several reasons. 1) I have limited time to build the systems for these two cases, 2) I will have to pay $25-30 for EACH case to have it shipped back to Newegg, and 3) I fully expect the replacement cases to be damaged in this same manner.

Something else odd happened. One of the boxes had a small puncture/gash in it. Upon opening the box, I saw that someone had "patched" this puncture by taping a piece of cardboard INSIDE the box. They slapped a "fragile" sticker on the outside, probably to disguise the damage. One of the boxes I received was also WET! I blame the wetness on UPS. But I don't think UPS would have opened the box, removed the case, patched the box and then taped everything back up. I just don't think they care that much.

I also emailed Lancool, but have not heard back from them. I have seen cases from other vendors ship with a plastic film over the acrylic to prevent scratching. Neither of these cases had this.

2vsqo7b.jpg

This is the damage to one of the cases. The lighting in this picture is bad, I assure you the crack is very visible under normal lighting. Also, the crack on the second case is bigger, and it extends on either side of the screw.

2cyk09y.jpg

Here is the interior "patch." I really think this must have happened at either Lancool or Newegg. So, it looks like I was shipped a product that was known to be damaged.

4j5tw.jpg

Here is the fragile sticker that appears to have been applied to hide the damage. Man, this is kind of like a big ironic F U.

I'm going to see how Newegg chooses to handle this, and I will update this thread. As for now, I would recommend against purchasing the Lancool K-62 from Newegg. In fact, I would be concerned about purchasing any case from Newegg that has an acrylic window.

Mine came in perfect. The box was barely scuffed around the corners. As for the patch, I've worked in parcel delivery and don't put anything past what ups may or may not do.

Those boxes are tanks. It must have taken some serious beating. BUT then again, they came from overseas before newegg got their hands on them. A lot of our cable that comes in from china comes in boxes that are so torn up that they are more of a paper bag than a box by the time they go from UPS to our receiving dept.

This is UNQUESTIONABLY Newegg shipping you known damaged RETURNS as new.

If it occured at Lian-Li's facility, they would have just completely replaced the box. Also, the Lancools ship in a clear plastic bag which is taped shut, not a film covering. I'm very familiar with the Lancool family, I've used quite a few. The lack of bagging indicates that it was DEFINITELY Newegg and DEFINITELY a return or B-stock and not a new case as sold. The box damage may have occurred in transit from manufacturing, but there is a procedure to exchange products damaged in shipping. And it still would have had the plastic bag - so where's the plastic bag?
EDIT: I believe the K62 with Window should have a protective film on the acrylic window but ONLY the window. I don't know for sure, because I don't use windowed cases.

This is DEFINITELY Newegg's work through and through.
I would demand new replacements, a refund on all shipping charges, and refuse to pay to ship the used B/C-stock cases they shipped you back to them. If they want their B-stock they sold as new back, they can pick up the shipping.

This is UNQUESTIONABLY Newegg shipping you known damaged RETURNS as new.

If it occured at Lian-Li's facility, they would have just completely replaced the box. Also, the Lancools ship in a clear plastic bag which is taped shut, not a film covering. I'm very familiar with the Lancool family, I've used quite a few. The lack of bagging indicates that it was DEFINITELY Newegg and DEFINITELY a return or B-stock and not a new case as sold. The box damage may have occurred in transit from manufacturing, but there is a procedure to exchange products damaged in shipping. And it still would have had the plastic bag - so where's the plastic bag?
EDIT: I believe the K62 with Window should have a protective film on the acrylic window but ONLY the window. I don't know for sure, because I don't use windowed cases.

This is DEFINITELY Newegg's work through and through.
I would demand new replacements, a refund on all shipping charges, and refuse to pay to ship the used B/C-stock cases they shipped you back to them. If they want their B-stock they sold as new back, they can pick up the shipping.

yea my storm scout was broken from the front panel =(
I wanted to get a replacement but didn't wanna pay for shipping. I ordered it on 8/6, do you think I can get a replacement? OP you should order cases from superbiiz, heard they package their really well or at least better than newegg.

I ordered my K62 last night at mwave. It was 99 dollars with 20 dollar shipping. I hope it comes in one piece...

This happened to me with my PC-A71 from directron sent with ups. There was a gash in the side of the box and my panel arrived slightly dented. Not as bad as your situation, but I still complained. Lian Li told me to contact directron instead of asking for a panel, but they gave me the contact for the warehouse anyways. Directron let me RMA it without having to pay shipping and I received a whole new case with extra cardboard padding. And guess what? The gash was in the same fucking place. This time it didn't dent the case at least. But my retail box still has a dent. Fucking UPS. Oh yeah, this wasn't in 2009, THANK GOD. Because a majority of the shit I've been ordering this year I've been getting so raped on customer service I swear to god there's a conspiracy now.

The box mine came in was beat but at least it sustained the beating. I don't place much hope on the lancool packaging because it's basically bare minimum to protect the case....

perhaps you had these guys as your shippers:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=05d_1251497849

I received an damage low end silverstone case years ago (was for a 2500+ barton system) and contacted newegg about it. They told me I had to pay to ship it back, it was around 35-40$ to do it at the time. Said that wasn't an option considering the case was around 60$, so they said they could check on what they could do and decided the easiest way was just to send me another one free of charge.

That cardboard patch is pretty sketchy >.>. Hopefully someone will get the problem worked out quickly. I would nag them on the phone for best results.

I received mines Friday and the box was in ok Shape- little dent and I was very nervous opening it but it seems to be fine- no cracked window :)

This is NOT Neweggs fault. You used Union schleps to deliver your package.

I would contact NE and see if they will allow you to have it repaired without going the RMA route.

Back