Two LAN networks on one computer

Legrand68

n00b
First off, I'm not new here, but I haven't posted in a long time and I can't access my old account (forgot PW and don't have access to old e-mail account). Also, I'm not that good with networking issues. I've messed with computers & hardware for a long time (20 years), but don't really deal with networking hardware.

So here's the deal: I have a couple of 3D printers at work and the controller I installed on them has the ability to have a networked connection with which you can control the printers via a web interface. This controller only has a wired connection, no wifi on it. I wanted to install a wifi module and run it in client mode to hook up to the intranet at work, but IT is having none of that, too concerned about security. I can't even begin to understand this ridiculousness, but, whatever.

I can't install a wired connection to the intranet either, because there's no infrastructure (i.e. open ports) any where near me, and they won't run a cable to the networking room (probably a few hundred feet). They want an outside company to come in and run the line, which would be thousands of dollars. Not worth it.

My solution was to bring in an old router I had lying around at home, specifically a D-Link DIR-655. I have the 3D printers plugged into this router which I can then also plug into my computer via a USB to Ethernet adaptor. I can then use the web interface to manage and run the 3D printers. I don't have admin rights on my computer, so IT had to install the driver for that adaptor.

My problem is that when I plug in the router to my computer, I lose my internet connection on my computer. I can still access the intranet, the company servers, e-mail still works, etc. but the internet is lost. The instant I unplug the router, the internet returns once again.

My question: Is there some setting I can adjust/modify somewhere that will stop this from happening so I can leave this plugged in? I discussed this with a guy on the 3D printer forum, and he said something about the subnet, but I couldn't figure out what exactly he was talking about nor where you would alter what.

Thanks for your assistance!

Make sure your router is using a completely different IP range then what your computer is currently using. So if your computer is using something like 192.168.1.x as it's IP, set the D-Link to do 10.0.0.x. Turn off DHCP on the D-Link and manually configure static IP in whatever range it using on the 2nd nic in your computer and then make sure you don't give it a gateway, leave the gateway blank. That way only traffic on that specific subnet will route through that nic and all of your other traffic will go through the normal one.

Your IT people won't let you install a wifi adapter to the 3D printer but will allow you to bring in a wireless router?...

Aside from that, it sounds like you need to setup a static IP on your computer so you can access the 3D printer.

If the printer is a "few hundred" feet away from you, even if you have a clear line between your computer's wireless router and the printer's wireless controller, chances of getting a good connection are slim. If, as is likely, you have several walls in the way, less chance.

Is there a wired connection close to the printer? Might be possible to buy a switch(less then $50) and make a short run from the existing drop to the printer room. If the printers are close to you, put the switch in your office and run a drop from the switch to the printer(s).

Your IT people won't let you install a wifi adapter to the 3D printer but will allow you to bring in a wireless router?...

Aside from that, it sounds like you need to setup a static IP on your computer so you can access the 3D printer.

They don't know I have the wireless router set up here, and I have the wireless portion turned off. I'm only using the wired ports. I'm in a different building, in the machine shop office. I don't think I can set up a static IP on my computer without admin rights, which I don't have.

If the printer is a "few hundred" feet away from you, even if you have a clear line between your computer's wireless router and the printer's wireless controller, chances of getting a good connection are slim. If, as is likely, you have several walls in the way, less chance.

Is there a wired connection close to the printer? Might be possible to buy a switch(less then $50) and make a short run from the existing drop to the printer room. If the printers are close to you, put the switch in your office and run a drop from the switch to the printer(s).

The printers are sitting right behind me, but the Duet web controller makes it very easy to control them without having to screw around with the SD cards.

If I put a switch in myself, does it have to interact with the existing network? If so, they would have to configure it to be allowed access I'm guessing.

it costs thousands to run a single drop?

where are you located, i'll bid the job

I'm in upstate NY, in the office of a machine shop. To get to the servers, you have to run through the office ceiling, through a concrete wall (cable tray already there), but then up and near the ceiling out in the shop, which is about 25' up, and intertwined with all the other utilities. It's about 400'.

They don't know I have the wireless router set up here, and I have the wireless portion turned off. I'm only using the wired ports. I'm in a different building, in the machine shop office. I don't think I can set up a static IP on my computer without admin rights, which I don't have.

The printers are sitting right behind me, but the Duet web controller makes it very easy to control them without having to screw around with the SD cards.

If I put a switch in myself, does it have to interact with the existing network? If so, they would have to configure it to be allowed access I'm guessing.

I'm in upstate NY, in the office of a machine shop. To get to the servers, you have to run through the office ceiling, through a concrete wall (cable tray already there), but then up and near the ceiling out in the shop, which is about 25' up, and intertwined with all the other utilities. It's about 400'.
have you asked IT about it?

sounds pretty straightforward... could even use pre-made fiber and media converters and have that well below $1000

A basic dumb switch shouldn't need IT support unless they are being REALLY strict on devices and a dumb switch doesn't require any configuration itself. A dumb switch will allow both printers and your PC to share the existing drop. IT may have to allow the printers to talk on the network once you add the switch in. Shouldn't be more then setting up a pair of DHCP reservations for the printers.

The switch will show up on a network device scan so best to ask first but a < $50 switch + a couple of short network cables VS a >$1000 new drop should make a good case. Plus with approved DHCP reservations, your job of configuring the printer management software should be simplified.

A basic dumb switch shouldn't need IT support unless they are being REALLY strict on devices and a dumb switch doesn't require any configuration itself. A dumb switch will allow both printers and your PC to share the existing drop. IT may have to allow the printers to talk on the network once you add the switch in. Shouldn't be more then setting up a pair of DHCP reservations for the printers.

The switch will show up on a network device scan so best to ask first but a < $50 switch + a couple of short network cables VS a >$1000 new drop should make a good case. Plus with approved DHCP reservations, your job of configuring the printer management software should be simplified.
i certainly wouldn't want ANYONE plugging networking equipment into my system without my knowledge... and there very well could be authentication on the switch preventing it...

as an IT manager, i would much prefer to help the OP work through the issue rather than give way to shadow IT...

if they ARE involved and aren't wanting to help you... expecting you to sneakernet this thing, i feel sorry for you, but it may be time to get your management involved to push it along further...

i certainly wouldn't want ANYONE plugging networking equipment into my system without my knowledge... and there very well could be authentication on the switch preventing it...

as an IT manager, i would much prefer to help the OP work through the issue rather than give way to shadow IT...

if they ARE involved and aren't wanting to help you... expecting you to sneakernet this thing, i feel sorry for you, but it may be time to get your management involved to push it along further...

I second this. Many IT departments seem to lose sight of helping the end users get certain tasks done while they are constantly being smoothed under the blanket of security, or lack of budget. You may need to escalate to your management to shake things up. If this is impacting your productivity I see no reason why any reasonable manager wouldn't want to work out a solution that meets the company's IT standards while helping you get your job done.

Now based off your comments of losing internet access when you plug the second network connection. Your PC is most likely getting information from the home router that says "hey! the default route to the internet is through me!"
I strongly suggest you take the home router out, there is too much risk of it accident being plugged into the company network and have it start handing out addresses and default routes to other devices on the network that are asking for DHCP addresses. Creating a big mess with some possible downtime.

Back