Two internet connections, one PC - questions.

JaYp146

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay,

So my cousin asked me a question recently about having two internet connections in a home.

Assume the following:

- He has and is only using one computer.
- There are two internet connections, one DSL and one cable. The cable would be wired, the DSL wireless.
- He wants to use his low priced DSL connection (~1.5 Mbps) from AT&T for web browsing only. Low traffic stuff.
- He wants to use the cable connection (10 Mbps) for watching videos, gaming, and 100% LEGAL torrenting. High traffic stuff.

Is there any way to specify, for example, for uTorrent, Boxee, and Steam to only use the cable connection while Firefox uses the DSL?

I'm assuming this is impossible but just wanted to be absolutely sure. I also told him using a DD-WRT router on his cable connection with port forwarding might be a suitable solution (to prioritize bandwidth).

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I am pretty sure somewhere in the advanced utorrent settings you can set what adapter address you want to use. Otherwise, maybe you could set specific windows firewall permissions per adapter to only allow/ block what you want through each?

I am pretty sure somewhere in the advanced utorrent settings you can set what adapter address you want to use. Otherwise, maybe you could set specific windows firewall permissions per adapter to only allow/ block what you want through each?

I hadn't thought of that ... could work. Will pass this along and see how it works.

Thanks!

you can set which adapter is priorty to take traffice, but other then that, windows will choose one over the other, utorrent you can bind the program to an IP / gateway, other programs would have to be able to do the same.

Back