Two Internet Connections At The Same Time

gerbiaNem

2[H]4U
I have an nforce4 motherboard with 2 gigabit ethernet ports. It just so happens that I have two working internet ports in my room at college (used to be a double, now a single). Can I connect my computer and have double the bandwidth with two ethernet ports somehow? And how would windows decide which connection to use for which transfer?

Hmm, little confused - how do you know they are both working - if "used to be a double, and now a single" - have you taken the face plate off and checked the other wiring?

As to your original enquiry - assuming that your college does not require you to register your MAC address to get an IP (and hence force some form of control by allowing only one registration per person) you may see no gain from what you are proposing - depends on the the network set up further down the line. Let us say that you are connecting to a 100MBit switch - granted if you got NIC pairing sorted (which often would reguire the switch to be of the managed type that allows this sort of action), you would have twice the bandwidth to that switch, BUT how is that switch connected? If it is connected to another switch at 100MBit (most likely if more than 2 years old) then you will get no gain, since this connection forms the bottleneck.

I'm assuming he means the room used to be a double, but now it is a single(as in he is the only person in the room).

It is doable, but it probably won't help much unless you are already downloading a shitload. Like cyberjt said, if the switch only has a 100mbit link to the rest of the network then you will only see a benefit if you are downloading from multiple people on your switch at the same time. It certainly won't affect your internet speeds since the schools internet connection(the portion you get to use, at least) is significantly less than what a single 100mbit connection can even handle. So you can do it for shits and grins, but don't expect much out of it.

Back