Two Hyperx3k in RAID0 got new backup HDD and can't boot anymore

Anticommon

Weaksauce
Hi, I've run into a bit of a problem since I got my new 3TB HDD to use in my main computer. The 3TB drive works perfectly fine when I use it along side my 1.5TB drive, and I spent all last night backing up my 1.5TB drive to my 3TB so that I may give my 1.5TB drive to my brothers as they need more storage space in their PC. However, it would seem as though if I remove my 1.5TB drive from my pc, I keep getting the message that I must 'reboot and select proper boot device'. This is odd because I boot from my two SSD's that are in RAID0, and that should be completely independent from my purely storage drive.

Now, I don't know if my SSD's are too attached to my 1.5TB drive, but I really need to get this thing out of here and ASAP and I can't just leave my PC in a state where it can't boot any longer. Please help.

My motherboard is an MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)
My 1.5TB and 3.0 TB drives are both Seagate Barricudas
My SSD's are HyperX 3k 120GB models
My OS is Win8

Windows 7, in the beginning at least, would write boot information to any available hard drive if you were installing to a SSD. You could choose the SSD but it put the mini boot partition on the hard drive no matter what you chose. I do not know why it did this but I had this happen twice and was able to reproduce it. I believe running fixboot or fixmbr from the Windows CD/USB will fix things.
When I install or re-install Windows 7 the process includes unplugging all disks except my install target. Finish the install and then plug the drives back in. I'm not sure if this has been fixed.

I fixed it by making a bootable USB drive for win8 and then going through the automatic boot fixing thing on there (can't remember what it's called) but at first I thought it didn't work because it gave me errors saying it didn't fix anything. Then I tried booting back into win8 and voila everything works better than expected.

Back